Rita Applegate
Rita Applegate
  • Aurora, CO
Asked on Apr 30, 2013

Painting wood floors

CarolynMoxieKMS Woodworks
+4

I have old hardwood floors in my bedrooms that have never been taken care of. They are stained badly. I want to paint them as sanding is not an option any tips or ideas on how to flux painting so it still looks like a wood floor?
  • KMS Woodworks

Why do you think that sanding is "not" an option? I sanded my first hardwood floor back in 1983, and have done dozens since then. I have yet to see a hardwood floor that could not be sanded. http://www.hometalk.com/919391/the-fun-part

• Rita Applegate

Because I don't think I can sand it as I sanded a hallway took me three weeks to do alone ....and I cannot afford to pay anyone to do to it.......yes if I could afford it then I would save it

• KMS Woodworks

you can rent floor sanding equipment that will greatly speed the process. These items are available at tool rental outlets as well as most home centers. My local Home depot has drum sanders, orbitals, etc.

• Jeanette S

There was a post I read earlier where they "painted" their floors which does not always do well. Every footprint showed. If someone walked on your walls with their shoes, don't you think it could be seen? Same for floors. KMS is right...rent a sander and knock out the sanding quickly. Before you start, research the very best, hardest finishes you can get. Live with this or leave it alone. Painting can mean replacing down the road!

• KMS Woodworks

I use Varthane's oil based poly in the satin sheen. Gloss floors are a bit more durable but wear areas soon become dull. This leaves two sheens which looks even worse. http://www.hometalk.com/919391/the-fun-part

• Moxie

It could be really neat....I used Lowe's Porch and Floor paint on mine with several coats of Varthane Poly clear sealer and it has held up great. If it is stained, I would suggest priming the floor with Zinsser primer first. If I understand you correctly you are wanting to perhaps put a faux wood grain in the finish. If this is what you are thinking, prime the floor, apply a few base coats, use a glaze with 1 -3 mix paint to glaze and use the graining tool to create the grain again, but with paint; then seal it. They both rocking type tools that create a variegated grain to look like wood grain and then flexible rubber like "combs" that you drag through the glaze before it sets and where the tool removed the glaze the under base color shows through. It is a neat effect and the color combinations are endless; look realish or be super trendy. Stenciling the floor with a pattern will also hide the foot traffic more than solid color. Good luck and I would love to see what you do with the floors!

• Carolyn

I've used the porch paint too, with several coats of sealer. Still looks great have even done faux wood planks.