Asked on Feb 14, 2016

Removing thin set from concrete balcony

Dottie UnruhMarie Alesi CaruanaMoxie
+5

I need help with ideas on how to remove thin set from my concrete balcony? I want to avoid if possible renting a sander. If I paint over it will I still be able to see the swipes from the thin set? When I bought my condo, the previous owner had that lovely green turf/fake grass covering up the big surprise underneath.....thin set smears.
  • Jean Myles
    Jean Myles

Be side sanding , grinding or coving the deck with flooring. They sell squares made of wooden slats. Especially for decks They fit together they sell them at Ikea and they also sell them at home improvement stores.

• MN Mom
    MN Mom

Would a textured paint work? There are other ways to cover the swipe marks. Look into Jean's idea of a decking to cover the area...would give it a whole new appearance to your area!

Janet Pizaro

honestly I realize you do not prefer to sand, however unless you are willing to use another textured type of adhesive paint there is know other way to cover the so called swipes.

• Jweston
    Jweston

I would use a long handled scraper to level it out as much as you can and then trowel more thin set on and cover with tile. It's not that bad of a project unless it is a large area.

• Jean Myles
    Jean Myles

Since it is a condo ,you might ask at a board meeting.There maybe others with the same problem, or someone who had this problem and fixed it. Good Luck

• Moxie
    Moxie

If added thickness is not a problem and the thin set is sound; you may be able to use a binding agent and then resurface with a conctete ir ardex type product for a "new" look finish. You may want to contact ardex technical services fir recommendations. Your climate will play into applicable options as well.

• Marie Alesi Caruana
    Marie Alesi Caruana

The new indoor/outdoor carpeting (flat weave) is an option--some beautiful designs and colors without making a big mess. (I would be concerned about condo rules.)

• Dottie Unruh
    Dottie Unruh

Harbor Freight carries a small air hammer with a spade bit for @ $10-$12. I understand this can make short work of the project! Good luck!