Jill B
Jill B
  • Horntown, VA
Asked on Feb 16, 2012

does anyone have any suggestions for EXTREMELY small living spaces. My husband and I decided to live in a travel

Jill B3po3KMS Woodworks
+16

trailer. It's 26 feet long and hmm not sure how wide. Does have one slide out. I'm so very happy here, but I'm having a heck of a time with good organization of stuff.
  • Hi Jill, My wife tries to keep our tupperware in bins. She separates the tops and bottoms in separate bins, but it keeps the tupperware and containers and tops from falling all over the place and cluttering up the storage space. They aren't huge bins, like small document file bins.

• Designs by BSB

Do you have any one area that you are struggling with most? For kitchen stuff, it will be important to have same brand name of stuff so that it stacks and fits together in the least amount of space. Whenever possible, use very durable ziplocks to store loose items. Keeps small items organized and fits in odd spaces or baskets. Books? Consider getting a kindle or iPad!

• Jill B

Dan, love Tupperware but there's only room for a few pieces. That's ok though because we have an itty bitty fridge! BeckySue, it's definitely the kitchen, Figuring where to put and how to get to pantry items is a job. My poor husband probably once a week he comes home and I've re-arranged again (just gotta try something and if it doesn't work well, try again! We do have quite a number of things in ziplock bags. Oh! er uh both my husband and I have Kindle Fires (happy birthday and merry christmas) But then you have to talk about internet where we're living. LOL. I dwell on what makes me happy . It's beautiful here and peaceful so I'll put up with the other stuff.

• 3po3

I lived in a trailer for a couple of months and learned to go shopping every couple of days and only get exactly what I needed, minimizing pantry space needs. Also, stacking, sealing containers take up less room than flour, sugar, etc., in their original packaging. And the food will stay fresher longer.

• Jill B

We do have to be careful not to get too much. On the other hand, we are in an extremely rural area. Hate to spend lots of time on the road.

• 3po3

Gotcha. In that case, what about getting some kind of outdoor freezer or weatherproof chest and putting dry goods in there. No need to plug it in, but you could keep it outside.

• KMS Woodworks

Jill....I have been following the "tiny house blog" for a number of years now. http://tinyhouseblog.com/vardo/tonys-hornby-island-caravan/ http://tinyhouseblog.com/stick-built/building-a-tiny-off-grid-cabin-in-new-mexico/ Kent there has been posting all types of great content on smaller living...form 86 sq ft tumble weed type houses to larger "park" models. browse around there a bit and you will pick up some great tips.

• Nora

I recommend checking out Sarah Susanka's "Not So Big . . ." book series. The methodology/thinking behind her architectural and design approaches are bound to inspire you.

• Nora

Also, optimize vertical--and even ceiling--space for storage. This may require some creative thinking :)

• Jill B

Thanks Nora, I'll check her out right now. I see you're practically next door. we're right near chincoteague

• Nora

Oh, on the Eastern Shore? Beautiful :) Yes, you'll probably appreciate what Susanka says. Keep us posted as to your solutions!

• Jill B

will do!

• Use the vacuum bags for storing away seasonal things. Do you have pictures of this place? I am a visual person and can suggest better once I see this space.

• Designs by BSB

Ahh Vacuum bags.. awesome solution for seasonal items Yamini

• Renee B

Buy hanging shoe racks -- the over the door kind. You can store lots of items in the pockets from medical items to cleaning supplies.

• KMS Woodworks

Jill...its been some time since you posted this...I was wondering how things have been going in your downsized world

• Jill B

We've been in our new home for a month or so now. We've found that the rig pretty much holds all that we need to have to live (and play some). I love love love what we're doing. If you want to see the rig, check out my blog at www.jillology.com. Right now we're headed to the Black Hills of South Dakota... Renee? Ummmmmmmmmmmmm we don't have any doors that would accomodate that. They are pocket doors to save space. I just downsized the numbers of pairs of shoes that I have. Luckily, I'm not much like Imelda Marcos

• 3po3

That's great news. Hope you inspire other folks to live with less. It's exciting to me to see the small house movement after such a trend toward needlessly big homes.

• Jill B

Thanks Steve. I do like living with less but there were some things that were very difficult to let go. Not so much money valuable stuff, but sentiment valuable stuff. LOL if everyone did what we did those guys on American Pickers wouldn't have anything to pick!