Asked on Feb 14, 2016

How to paint a birch tree design on a square tower?

Joanne murphyV LooneyMoxie
+7

I want to use chalk to draw a birch tree design to look real on the corner of my room.
  • Louise

wish I knew

• Joanne murphy

Thanks! Haha! I am going to use chalks so it can be brushed off. Once it looks right, I might paint it but for now just trying out the idea to make the chimney look like birch tree growing up through my livingroom.

See if this helps you. www.pinterest.com/pin/78461218482874891/

• Joanne murphy

I will check this out. Have to go to my computer to open it. I am planning to turn my chimney which goes through my livingroom, into a birch tree trunk! I will be using chalks so it won't be permanent as we use the wood stove and the chimney gets hot, soon no paints ..as least not yet. Thanks for sending the link.

• Barb Verbos

Pinterest has a million examples of how to do that. Just do a search on Pinterest.

• Moxie

Maybe this will help (although this is a sticker) that I put on an outside corner

• V Looney

1. Find a GOOD picture of the tree you want to paint. Print it out to use as reference. 2. get acrylic paint and get some medium to slow down the drying process for blending color. 3. Colors should be raw or burnt umber, titanium white, black and cad yellow #1. (you may need to pick up these paints & medium at art supply store but hobby lobby may have) 4. paint the trunk & branches with the umber. No need to shade. Just paint it. Then take a flat brush and curve from left side to right side WHITE in SLIGHT U shape. it will be lighter on one side than the other. Leave it that way, as the light is stronger on one side always... It will give the trunk a round shape. YOU DON'T NEED TO USE MUCH PAINT. Take black and with a very light touch, blend into left part of the trunk to make that a little definition. Do the branches the same with little less paint and a little less definition. You're just trying to give it a rounded shape. Then for the leaves, to get green mix three shade of green using the black and the yellow. 3 parts yellow, 1 part black for the darkest and so on until you get three shades blended. You can dab on with a round brush or a flat brush. You're looking for a light touch here since you'll be seeing this from a distance. Start off smaller. I warn you, this could grow on you. :o) ( no pun intended)

• Joanne murphy

Thanks for your suggestion. I have some log/branches to copy. Really my problem is how to make it look 3-D . I will be chalking my white chimney to make it look like a Birch tree. Wanted ideas to make the sharp corners look rounded like a tree trunk. I signed up for a paint and sip class and the painting will be of...birch trees! That should help me out, right?

• V Looney

Sorry! I just now noticed you were wanting to use chalk. I haven't done chalk so can't help you with that. Sorry!

• Joanne murphy

Here's the chimney I want to design into a birch tree.

, We had a chimney fire and the heat cracked the blocks Don t worry the liner is OK and we haven t had any more problems with it However it is so ugly A birch tree trunk in the making