Renovating a pool deck without removing old cracked concrete deck

Yes! Pavers can be installed on top of an existing concrete deck, even if the deck is cracked. Pavers are installed over sand, therefore the new deck will absorb small shifts without cracking the pavers. The renovation coping piece has a drop-down face that will cover the old coping, so you don't have to remove the old coping, just cut it back. The reno coping is then install over mud right on the top of the old pool border. The rest of the deck will be set on send. Just lay the pavers leveled with the reno coping. Check out some before and after pictures.
Before. Existing cracked concrete deck
Before: the reno coping was installed right on top of the existing coping. You still can see the old concrete deck below it.
After: Finished deck showing pool border with reno piece installed and the drop down face covering the old coping.
After: pavers installed on the top of the old cracked concrete deck. Pavers installed over sand. They will absorb small shifts and will not crack.
After: Pavers over old concrete deck without removing the old concrete slab.
After: The result is perfect and it saves time and money as you don't need to remove the old concrete slab. The pavers are installed over the deck laid down over sand with no grout. That will allow the pavers adjust to natural terrain shifting.

• Randy Creek

The article speaks about putting pavers on top of concrete. I understand that they are laid over sand. What kind of sand and how deep does it need to be? Also, does the same apply to old cool deck?

• Artistic Paver Mfg.

You should put between 1/2 and 3/4 of screened sand (course so the water will be able to percolate). Drill wholes on the old deck should and also check for water not to be setting in any particular area before installing the new deck. If you need more details, please call out National Sales Manager, Sal De Franco at (305) 345-5514 or out Casa Grande factory (520)426-3479. Thank you for choosing Artistic Pavers!

• Holly Schelling

Does the new pavers deck sit above the coping stone, or does it come out level? And if so how?

• Adam Starkey

Question: The "drop down face" ......was that purchased that way or fabricated. I have seen reno coping (from Tremron) but this pic looks like it was fabricated onsite.....If it wasn't where did these particular reno pieces come from?
    , After Finished deck showing pool border with reno piece installed and the drop down face covering the old coping
  • Adam Starkey

The "drop down face" ......was that purchased that way or fabricated. I have seen reno coping (from Tremron) but this pic looks like it was fabricated onsite from two pieces for each brick....If it wasn't where did these particular reno pieces come from?

• Glenda Antcliff

i live in myrtle beach sc any place here
  • Carol Wisch Blount

I live in Virginia and would like to pay someone to do this over our concrete pool deck- any suggestions on who to go to for help with this? Not sure where to begin to look .

• Rixine jackson

Can you do this project it your pool is a liner pool

• Rixine jackson

Can you do this project if your pool is a liner pool

• Michele

So inspired. We installed our dream ingrpund pool 6 years ago. Our pool company rushed us into a pool deck of stamped concrete. Have had nothing but problems. Sealer bubbled, looks hazy white old. Was applied thin and in proper temps. Colors we chose get so hot we can’t even walk on our deck barefoot in the summer. I cry everyday looking for a solution. The deck is large and cost over 20,000 6 years ago. We don’t have a large budget to rip out and start over. Is this a possible solution for us??

• Artistic Paver Mfg.

Call our toll free number 877-707-2831 and ask for Sal De Franco. He will be able to give you a detail explanation on how to do it. You can also send him an email - and attache these pictures - to sal@artisticpavers.com

• McCall Hazelson

Since decks are usually so big, it is a huge talking point with any backyard landscaping. I was looking on http://lifestylepatios.com/gallery/decks/ to see some ideas for what I would like to do in our backyard when it's time for my husband and I to renovate our deck. I think a nice oak color would go really well with the pool and the plants in our backyard.