Plastic toolbox makeover

+34
I would like some ideas on what to use this for, and what kind of makeover to give it. Two suggestions were to paint it, or to cover it in washi tape.
So what do you all think?
q plastic toolbox makeover, crafts, repurpose household items, repurposing upcycling
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Feb 18, 2016
    If you like to garden you can paint the box with a spray paint for plastic, drill holes in the bottom plant it up and display outside .If you do not care for gardening and are into crafts the tape idea sounds good then you can use it to store craft items.

• Nonae Mariah Temujinn Nonae Mariah Temujinn on Feb 18, 2016
    I have one almost exactly like this only, a little larger. I use it for art supplies. So----- go crazy with paint and/or anything creative (get the glue out) you can think of.

• Penny Saver Penny Saver on Feb 19, 2016
    I would use the insert to hold household cleaners under my sink. The toolbox itself i would paint it to look old and aged. put holes with a drill in the bottom and make it into a planter. i did one from an old lunch box. i used a wire coat hanger, cutting off one corner of it. the was used to prop the lid open a little more than half way. i filled it with dirt some moss and hens and chicks. placed it on my doorstep. many compliments on it. my only problem was keeping the squirrels out of it. i also added a figurine to one side.Wish i could send a pic.

• JoAnn JoAnn on Feb 21, 2016
    You could paint the outside with paint that is good for plastic. The inside I would cover in fabric. Then I would use it for a funky purse or a jewelry box..

• Jeri Williams Jeri Williams on Feb 21, 2016
    Cover with fabric and use as a sewing box or make up case.

• Denise Lynch Denise Lynch on Feb 21, 2016
    I like the fabric idea above or decoupage! Do the inside too and use to catch keys, change, jewelry, etc at the door you use most often. use the handle to transport to appropriate places once a week for the things left in it.

• NancyMaria NancyMaria on Feb 22, 2016
    I use a few for portable project tools, i.e. one for leather tools, one for glue gun and sticks, and my snaps & metal buttons and my husband uses one for organizing wire hubs, striper, and tester and we have a triple stacker as an equestrain/pet first-aid box and suture kit. Basicially for any tote-able tools, parts, fix-it kits instead of having to run back and forth for what ever you need. You can paint, but I just label and stack in the closet for when I need them. And if I am doing an unusual project like painting, I fill one with spackel, puddy knife, cloths, gloves, tape, and sandpaper and take it around the house with me as I prep.

• NancyMaria NancyMaria on Feb 22, 2016
    My Favorite is the portable First-Aid Kit....when someone is hurt, it is easier to take the healing to them, then to track the possible mess through the house and cleaning it up afterwards. And ofcorse your custom HER tool box of hammer, plyers etc...clean out the junk drawers and keep them from wondering outside with spouse.

• Jean Myles Jean Myles on Feb 23, 2016
    I used mine for all my clay tools. Works really well. When I was taking courses I could leave it on my chair with a lock. Good paint brushes are unbelievably expensive. I put fun glittery stickers all over it. They fell off after a few years. I put my name on top, I used puff paint and it has lasted for 20 plus yrs. When I moved and started a garden I got another it is great to keep gardening tools in. I leave it in the garden when I'm done for the day. no worry if it rains its waterproof. Good luck

• NancyMaria NancyMaria on Mar 29, 2016
    So what did you come up with? Please post pictures of the finished project.

• Denise Lynch Denise Lynch on Mar 30, 2016
    New Thought! using scrap booking paper or remnant wall paper and decoupage, match or spice up your decor. I have used similar "boxes" for a few small children's toys - yoyo, cards, small cars - they know that is where they can go and get them. Also, I have one under the nightstand by my bed for the remote, inhaler, glasses, finger nail file, etc. It's like a surprise decor object, but so useful. Hope this inspires you.

• Shelley Collison Shelley Collison on Mar 30, 2016
    Hi K...it does inspire me...I am not so good at the depouge thing yet...but that it was my thought was too. I just need to see if I have a use for it.😉

• See 1 previous
    • Shelley Collison Shelley Collison on Apr 08, 2016
      Thank you for the encouragement K.

• Bren Bren on Mar 30, 2016
    I see the potential of a fine Victorian lady's sewing carrier: the inside 1st Layer the inside with a thin cotton batten followed by a soft leafy green sateen: 2nd Using thick cardboard divide the bottom of the carrier into compartments; then cover the these pieces of cardboard with cotton batten and then use a slightly darker shade of green sateen to cover them; now with a strong glue, but one that dries clear [in case you use to much and it spills onto the leafy green sateen], put the card board dividers into the carrier bottom where ever it is that you decided to make the compartments...This can take sometime to dry; ( make sure that all of your edges have been turned inward toward the back-side of the fabric so as not to have fraying edges exposed; it is best to glue these turned under edges first to the container's edges; you can also apply a thin braid [that coordinates with the greand hingrsen inside and the pastel pinks on the out side] to the edges making for a decorative accent yet also covering the interior joints): 3rd Lightly spray the outer side of the container with an adhesive or brush on an adhesive thinly; again place cotton batten down in two or three thicknesses as you want the outer side to be somewhat poofish especially on the top of the carrier; Using a coordinating piece of cotton floral fabric cover the outer sides, the bottom and the top of the container; and again using the small braid around the joining seams; the handle of the container can be covered in the layering of some leafy green ribbon ending it in a small but elegant bow; with regard to the opening levers/clasps and the back hinges they can be painted with a subtle shade of green nail polish or paint [Always make sure the these clasps and the hinges are able to open and close tightly]; 4th And last, using your gifted imagination decorate the carrier to your choice of beautification .

Hi Bren...wow that sounds lovely. I am not that talented. Do you have a picture of what you just decribed?

• Bren Bren on Mar 31, 2016
      @Shelley Collison No I don't Shelley. I just created that image from my mind as I 'mentally walked' through the process step by step. In the past, I have done similar things.

• Shelley Collison Shelley Collison on Mar 31, 2016
    Wow great imagination Bren!!!

• Shelley Collison Shelley Collison on Apr 04, 2016
    I haven't done it yet.

• Bren Bren on Apr 09, 2016
    That's to bad Shelley about you not trying yet. Even if you started in small stages....like maybe you could begin with making the dividers I talked about....any hard cardboard will due...in fact, if you merely took empty cereal boxes and cut them to the size of the divider that will work for inside of your tool box... Once you have a few pieces of the same length [4-6] you then glue them together [use a lot of glue in order to cover every inch of the pieces], and lay them aside with something heavy one them to make sure they seal together while they are drying.... See that isn't difficult to do....I don't know if we are allowed to share each others emails here, if we are I would be willing to walk you through this creation..... In the meantime, think of the colours that you would like this to tool box to be, and look for left over fabric [if you have fabric...if not you might be able to go to a Salvation Army thrift store and they may have cuttings of fabric or you could look in their drapery section and purchace the drapery of your choice and then use it for this project....you can even use clothing that you may be giving away..it will do fine]. I hope that this may have given you some idea on how to begin.....Bren

• Ter4982526 Ter4982526 on Apr 11, 2016
    Pad it with foam and use it as a cooler box or lunch box and some ice and you have a portable esky.?

• Ter4982526 Ter4982526 on Apr 11, 2016
    Or put some speakers in with Bluetooth and a boom tool box yeah 😄

• Bren Bren on Apr 11, 2016
    Shelley, is Aldred your maiden name, if you are married?

• Shelley Collison Shelley Collison on Apr 11, 2016
    Yes Bren it is. What makes you ask.

• Leslie Beinhauer Eash Leslie Beinhauer Eash on Aug 17, 2018

while looking around the Habitat for Humanity Restore, I found some shiny silver metallic tape. It’s like foil but sticky on the dull side. Find some tag board letters and other embellishments that feel like you and hot glue your tag board letters (I used my name) and embellishments to your toolbox then cover with pieces of foil tape. Press around the raised images with a stylus or spoon/fork handle. You can wipe it with black shoe polish and then gently wipe over raised bits and the polish will stay in the valleys.

Or, after tape is on the box decorate and color with metallic markers, glitter pens and paint pens. Have fun! You can always strip it down and try something else if you want.

• Ellen Ellen on Aug 17, 2018

Cover it in material and use it as a sewing box or craft kit for the kids

• Sharon Sharon on Apr 13, 2020

I can’t wait to turn my crummy old inherited from my husband (it was headed for the garbage ). I love all the ideas. Welll we had two sheds and my husband gave me one this past weekend to keep all of my gardening things in it. I would like the tool box to be a little bit sassy. I’ll share w u when I get done. Thanks for the ideas i am a nurse at a local hospital in Florida...please all of you be safe.