Painting An Oak Island Black

$104.00

I have used several different types of chalk/clay paint and this was my first time using Maison Blanc, La Craie. I love this paint! It's goes on velvety smooth and self levels! It dries to a flat finish. Wrought Iron is a true black that does not require dark wax to achieve the black finish. Woo hoo! I have received no compensation from this company.
After- two coats of paint and top coat. I followed the directions on the Lacquer and added light coats, not heavy because the lacquer will turn white.
Before- Oak cabinets and island. Baltic Brown granite-
Supplies & Steps: Clean, tape, paint and top coat. Maison Blanc, Wrought Iron was the color I chose. It is a true black without dark wax.
First coat- no priming or sanding needed,
After two coats- a little touching up needed and then I'll top coat this piece with Annie Sloan's Lacquer.
Sorry for the shadows, on the island, in the photo. I'm thrilled that I chose this paint! I had a bid for $1200 to paint this black. The paint was $44 and the Lacquer was $60- quite a savings.

To see more: http://coastal-colors.blogspot.com/2013/05/painting-our-oak-kitchen-island-black.html

• Snapoutofit

love this! did you keep the same counter top?

• B

@Snapoutofit yes I did keep the same counter top. Many thanks!

• Sharron Gauthier Hoffman

I would like to paint upper and lower cabinets. Do I need to do anything before I paint? Will the paint hold onto the cabinets or will I have to worry about the paint peeling?The colors I have chosen is Uppers a light gray Lowers a darker gray. Did you remove the doors? Did you paint both sides of the doors? Also did you paint any of the inside? Sorry but I do ask a lot of questions.

• Lucy

what type of paint do you think would work best to cover Island made out of Formica (fake wood)?

• G

I love this! I am thinking of doing my bottom kitchen cabinets like this, the bottom color really makes the counter top stand out. Well done.

• Denise Griffin

VERY NICE !!! I have a monstrosity of a kitchen island that I want to paint as well. I am thinking a light grey since the counter top has grey in it as well. You did a wonderful job

• B

@Denise Griffin Thank you! I was terrified, but decided to dive in. Good luck with your island! I know it will be lovely!