Sue Sue Law
Sue Sue Law
  • Columbia, SC

How to modify a steel entrance door....

Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.comKMS WoodworksHamtil Construction LLC

Greetings and salutations to all of you: I have a request, does anyone of you know have any advice on how to do this? I have a 6 pocket steel front door, because of the HOA I can not just change the style of my door, so I want to cut the pocket inserts out and put glass into it. Has anyone done this before? What would be the best on doing this? The door is steel.. THANKS for any advice :-)
  • Hamtil Construction LLC

Do you have a local millwork suppy house that would possibly furnish glass and cut it in? We buy doors like that all the time. Typically with ODL brand glass inserts. However, the millwork supplier will not cut the glass into doors that they don't furnish.

• KMS Woodworks

I would try to find a door in the same pattern that already has the glass installed. Most exterior steel doors are insulated inside...getting the window area sealed against moisture would be tough to do...if the insulation gets wet it will start rusting from the inside out. Six panel doors are very common, those with windows are not as common but still available. http://www.bimstop.com/bim-content/6-panel-door-ts6000/

• I would first think putting glass in the areas of the panels would be changing the style of the door. Before doing anything get it cleared from the HOA. Going to your local lumber yard or millwork company you can get the door you're looking for. AS KMS said however these are not all that common and will cost a bit of money.