Basement Craft Room Ceiling

$0

The craft room ceiling was a work in progress a lot longer than I thought it would be. Finding the right look without spending much made my brain hurt from so much thinking...LOL!
This is what needed to be covered...but with what??
I spent many hours, days and possibly weeks staring at it over and over. The first thought was to cover it with paint and maybe give it a more light and open feeling.
My vision for this creative space did not include this dark, dirty wood.
When I say unfinished basement I mean just that. Insulation is showing around the entire ceiling so covering that was another challenge to overcome
Instead of looking at it repeatedly I knew it was time to just dive in. One afternoon when I got home from work the paint came out and I got busy. That was a Friday and by Saturday evening it was done....well sort of done. The paint was soaking into the wood and it was very difficult to get even coverage. The beams were taking the paint pretty well and at least it looked a little cleaner and brighter.
So back it was to staring at it.....
Then I saw this lovely room and the ceiling!!
Finally I knew what might work.
Fabric :)
I have lots of curtains that are used for different seasons around my home. There were some I knew I had not used in a very long time that would give the soft and bright look I was going for.
It did not take long and I was headed to my storage area to grab what I needed. The curtains were cut lengthwise in half and gathered to fit the spaces between the beams.
I borrowed my hubby's heavy duty stapler to secure the fabric at each end. Standing on a step ladder and holding the fabric while stapling is no easy task. I may look for something to finish the edges where the staples went in later but for now it will do just fine :)
I left a skirt to cover that yucky insulation that was showing around the edge. I think it softens it pretty well.
This portion of the craft room project cost me nothing but my time.

Karen @ Southern Gal Meets Midwest

• Linda

I wonder- would short tension rods work? That would eliminate the need for staples, you could adjust the folds after the hanging and take down the curtains to wash periodically if they needed it. Just wondering, because I have a basement waiting for me to get done upstairs. I like the look of fabric there, and think you really made your space look more intimate.

• That's a great idea Linda...They will need to be washed eventually and the tension rods would eliminate the removal of staples and possible damage to the fabric. Thanks Again :)

• V Looney

yes tension rods would work, would keep others from feeling nervous about using equipment (although a stapler is EASY) BUT would allow for removal for cleaning OR replacing if you wanted to add something new.

• Barbara54

This is not an answer, just want to thank you two for great ideas!

• Diane Naaktgeboren

If you want the fabric to stay stretched across the length, you might not be able to place the rods close enough to the walls to hold it tight. You could sew a binding on the fabric for rod pockets.

• Bonnie Tait

You did an outsatanding job on a budget. I love the fabric you choose to cover the chair, I just used the same fabric for dinning room curtains. Always be creative, it's good for the mind soul and budget.

• Cdvicory

do you think it would be possible to put heavy duty plastic sheeting over the insulation (due to the fact that insulation is not something you want in your washing machine when you want to wash your curtains) it's a good barrier between the curtains and you when removing said curtains to wash, inhaling asbestos harmful to health

• That is something I will definitely keep in mind cause I don't like the fact that the insulation is really still exposed...just covered by the skirt. Thanks for the tip :)

• Dana Clark McPherson

The insulation is fiberglass and not as toxic as asbestos.

• Sparkles

Add vinegar to the wash and it will break down the fibers in the insulation. Also if you get it on your body add vinegar to your bath to keep from itching. I used to work in a fiberglass plant and this is how I got the stuff off my body and out of my clothes. Works wonders!!

• CampSunsetGirl

Attractive and you used your talent. Does this meet fire code?

• Marina Abbott

No it doesn't I don't think it matters where you live.

• Susan

Since it is not structural there are no applicable building or fire codes for residential applications like this.

• Rebecca C Lewinski

I love this sort of thing, but can't do it in my own place because we have so many dang spiders. They are mostly benign and they do kill the less desirable bugs here, so I don't exactly want to kill them. I wonder if soaking the fabric in something they don't like to walk on would discourage them from taking up residence?

• Leilani Burns

@Rebecca C Lewinski Peppermint! They hate peppermint!!! Tea bags, dried leaves, fresh leaves.....

• Alana Brown Casey

Camphor leaves too! And something else too. Senior moment. Google natural spider repellents.

• Jewellmartin

I love both of your fixes: paint and fabric. My question is, is your basement ceiling insulated? If not, I wonder why you didn't add insulation, then complete the ceiling traditionally but in a budget way. That would definitely not be for $0, so that might be your answer itself. Please keep doing your impromptu quick fixes. Is your blog about redecorating? I'm going to sign up. Thanks!

• Hi Jewell, that is a great question. We are currently working to make half of the basement livable space. The other half is laundry & storage. My "quick fix" to the ceiling is only for the craft area so that I could start creating and doing projects. We will address insulation or other solutions as we progress in the renovation. Thanks for your comment :)

• Jewellmartin

That's what I thought. I'm looking forward to reading your blog on a regular basis.

• Wanda Rossiter

Don't insulate your ceiling. It's a waste of time and money. I assume if you are using the bsmnt it is heated?

• TLC

Do! insulate your ceiling if you want to soundproof the room at all! You likely use your craft room as your own retreat from the world and hearing your husband watching the game in the living room above might not be the soundtrack of inspiration!
    • Charly

You Don't insulate the basement ceilings. Only the outside walls. It's a waste of time and money. Two things that can be used more productively on other more important projects.
  • Lavonna

I have a basement sewing room much like yours, except it is a walk out basement. I have thought of doing this on the walls. All the pink insulation shows and my room seems dark. I cannot afford to finish off my basement so you have given me an idea. I also have thought about stringing Christmas lights in ceiling, which is open like yours, to give extra brightness. You have inspired me to try it. Thanks for your post. I have been searching Pinterest for just such and idea. Think it would work or any other ideas?
  • Rob

I have the same basement ceilings and painted (white) cinder block walls and painted concrete flooring antique yellow. Just painting the ceiling floor boards a soft white will help. Thanks. I think I will use a paint product that retards moisture. I don't want to invest in the lighting idea nor do I want to fill the room in or clutter it. I do want the ceiling and room to appear interesting, bright and useful for when I sell in the future. Anyone have any ideas?

• Lisa

What did you do at light fixtures?