How To Make a Sophisticated Diamond Tufted Headboard for Only $50!

Nothing is worst than being super frugal, yet having such expensive taste.
I have wanted a gorgeous diamond tufted headboard for years without any hope of every owning one...that is until I made one myself!
With a slew of clever budget saving tricks, I spent UNDER $50 to make this gorgeous knock off.
how to make a sophisticated diamond tufted headboard for only 50, bedroom ideas, diy, how to, reupholster
You will never believe this headboard's before picture. It is officially as scary to look at (and old) as headboards get.
After stripping off the old decorative backing, I added some plain pieces of plywood (actually salvaged wood from an old MDF wardrobe) to create a backing, and a 2x4 to the top to frame it up and add a little height.
If the first thing you do is run out to the store and buy the first set of [high end] materials you need for a project, you'll end up spending an arm and a leg. Keep your project frugal by searching for low budget materials, and clever alternates to high end material.
I chose to keep this project really low cost by using eggcrate mattress foam (found at Walmart for just $11), instead of spending $50 per yard on upholstery foam.
I used salvaged wood, and low end framing studs...you're just going to cover it up anyway!
Then I used coupons on the high end items that would typically need to be purchased at full cost; such as a button kit, or home decor fabric.
Covering up your ugly old headboard (or headboard frame) is easy. The challenging part of this project will be making your own buttons, otherwise the rest is surprisingly simple to execute!
I include lots of clever shortcuts to make this DIY as sturdy and easy as possible.
If you are intimidated by the idea of folding tufts, don't be! This tutorial excludes that step altogether...tufts are the natural result of pulling buttons tight! No folding required.
You are going to be shocked that you can do it yourself with such amazing results! Many of my readers have shared pictures that they could do it following my step-by-step, and I know if we can, then so can you! Who say's you can't have that stunning (high end) diamond tufted headboard of your dreams?
Ursula @Home Made by Carmona

3 questions on this project