Faux Brick Wall

8 materials
1 Day

This paneling helped me give our dining room a fresh new look. The total project came in $8 *under* budget. Thrifty!

*BEFORE*

Panels are 4' x 8'. Our ceiling to floor height is 12'. Purchased at Home Depot for $26 per panel.

Hub screwed panel into studs then used finishing nails for extra security.

Caulked seams

Did some research and learned the mountain peak painting technique was the way to go to avoid it looking painted in blocks. Basically, that is just paining horizontal "peaks," letting that dry and then putting a coat of paint over the entire wall. This method gives the wall depth/character and draws your eye away from the panel seams. I used homemade chalk paint, otherwise this amount of store bought chalk paint would have cost a fortune (chalk paint "recipe" to follow).

Chalk paint recipe

Completed with chalk paint all over

Rubbed off some bricks with damp cloth to let "brick" color come through

New table and bench

Yard sale chairs (3 in all) chalk painted, distressed, recovered with $5 worth of Waverly fabric from Walmart.

End result (still need crown moulding). Rug from Walmart. Other 3 chairs gifted to me from my MIL (chalk painted and distressed). Had the window pane and "H" in the basement. Spray painted them black.

Table w/leaf in for add'l seating. The curtains are a $10 Walmart tablecloth that I cut in half. I was too lazy to break out my sewing machine so the cut edges were "stitched" and rod pockets created using Stitch Witchery (found in sewing/craft department).

Update: Christmas 2016

faux brick wall
Thanksgiving 2018

January 2019

• Paneling   (Home Depot)
  • Plaster of Paris   (Home Depot)
  • Latex paint   (Home Depot)

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 46 questions

Comments

2 of 453 comments
Next