Hang a Swing Shelf in the Shower or Anywhere!

$10

Add storage to your shower with this swing shelf! Isn't this just the happiest shelf on the planet?
The supplies are very simple obviously. A piece of wood, scrap wood from my floating shelf project worked great for me. If you are hanging the shelf in the shower, consider using a wood like cedar because it naturally handles exposure to moisture better than other woods.
Begin by cutting your shelf to the desired size. Mine was 5 1/2" x 16", but any size would work.
Mark where you will drill the holes for the rope, about an inch from the edges of both sides. Using a drill bit specifically for boring holes into wood is recommended. A regular, large bit will likely cause the wood to crack. Do not pre-drill a pilot hole.
Sand your shelf smooth, remembering to sand inside the holes with little bits of sandpaper to avoid snagging the rope when feeding it through the holes. Apply a waterproof finish to your swing and allow it to dry.
Now you are ready to tie your knots and hang your swing.
I have a full video tutorial on how to tie these San Diego Jam knots on my blog HERE. I think that's what makes this swing so special. It is actually super easy to tie once you know how. On my blog, I also give tips and tricks for securing the shelf more. We haven't had much issue with things falling off, yet. Click the link below for more information and the video.

• Cedar fence board
  • Rope

Deeply Southern Home