Christi Joyce
Christi Joyce
  • Bellingham, WA

Simple tricks for old furniture

Oh, what a little paint and a curtain can do!
A little sanding and a quart of glossy black paint!  New color really makes the top 'pop'.
A little sanding and a quart of glossy black paint! New color really makes the top 'pop'.
An old, drop leaf table.  The top was good, the legs were, well, boring.
An old, drop leaf table. The top was good, the legs were, well, boring.
An old Lane cedar chest I picked up at a rummage sale in the 80's, which makes its probable age the 70's.
I gave the exterior a fresh coat of 'walnut' stain/sealer, and used a curtain to make a new cover for the top.  The button was from an old coat that I snipped off and recovered with a scrap of fabric.  Also added seams for interest.
I gave the exterior a fresh coat of 'walnut' stain/sealer, and used a curtain to make a new cover for the top. The button was from an old coat that I snipped off and recovered with a scrap of fabric. Also added seams for interest.

• Barbara R

How did you get the top of the table to look so good? I noticed it was defective in pic #1 and now gorgeous!

• Christi Joyce

@Barbara Rodgers Thank you Barbara! I didn't do anything to the table top.....it must be a trick of the lighting or the black paint making it 'pop'.

• Barbara R

It looks like a classy & expensive vintage Hitchcock table now, great job!

• Christi Joyce

@Barbara Rodgers I don't know what a Hitchcock table is.....now I'm curious, though, so I'll look it up! ;)