Gail@Purple Hues and Me
Gail@Purple Hues and Me
  • Millersville, MD

Recycled Decoupaged Paper Mache Bunny

$4

I discovered the most adorable decoupage bunnies on a popular retail site and knew immediately my next project would be inspired by these cuties. Unfortunately, I couldn't find paper mache bunnies similar in size and shape so I had to create my own.
To begin, clean a 2.1 qt. soda bottle and cut off the top opening. Add small rocks and pebbles to the bottom to give weight and then stuffed the cavity with
recycled decoupaged paper mache bunny, crafts, decoupage, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
With a picture of the original bunnies to look at, begin shaping the structure with masking tape, using a paper mache egg for the head (wrapped in a plastic bag), and clothes hanger wire for the ears. Use a portion of a toilet paper tube to extend the neck and fold paper towels to shape the bunny legs and feet. Add additional paper towels to increase the bottom area of the bunny and to cover the ears.
Once satisfied with the bunny's shape and foundation, mix a paper mache paste - one part water, one part flour and a pinch of salt. A large roll of white drawing paper was torn into small strips and used to glue on for the body.
After the first layer of paper is glued on, place the bunny in a 200 degree oven to dry.
Laying the bunny down in the oven flatten the backside so for the next two layers a blow dryer was used instead and then allowed to dry overnight for each layer. *If the paper mache layers aren't completely dry, there's a chance for mold and deterioration from the inside out. Brush on a coat of mod podge after the bunny is completely dry.
To decoupage the bunny, begin my removing the two layers of backing of the napkins to expose the single printed side.
Tear out the portion of pattern you want to use making sure there are no hard lines or straight edges. Using a sponge brush, apply mod podge to the paper mache area and then lay the napkin piece on top, smoothing it out with the brush. Use plastic wrap to gently smooth out any additional wrinkles.
Continue applying the napkins in this manner, slightly overlapping each piece as you continue to cover the bunny.
Allow to dry once the bunny is completely covered with the napkins. And finally, seal the dried bunny with a brush on clear varnish or sealant. For a complete step by step tutorial visit by blog, Purple Hues and Me at http://www.plumperfectandme.com/2016/02/recycled-decoupaged-paper-mache-bunny.html
recycled decoupaged paper mache bunny
Wait! I found napkins in a purple print that goes with my décor much better, so I covered the bunny with a white acrylic primer and decoupage the new napkins on. Doesn't he look so much better?

• Empty 2.5 liter soda bottle
  • Rocks and pebbles for weight
  • Masking Tape
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Tracy

Isn't paper mâché white glue, water and paper strips? I was wondering why you used flour, water and salt. I'm an amateur so please forgive me if this is a silly question.

• Linda

liquid laundry starch is inexpensive and won't mold, either :-)

• Denise

This is absolutely adorable and beautifully made. I love that it looks like he's leaning a little. Did you just add more paper towels to one side? Thanks, Denise

• Melinda

Hi! The bunny is a delight! I have just one question, did the plastic pop bottle melt at all when you put it into the oven to dry/bake and did you have a plastic odor in the house afterward? Thanks MW beginner

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Thanks, Melinda! I don't think my oven was that hot to melt the plastic (200 degrees) and it was completely covered with craft paper that is a little thicker than regular paper and glue - and I didn't smell any fumes or odor of any kind. Although I did realize by laying it down on a baking sheet and putting it in the oven caused the back to flatten a bit, so I used a hair dryer to help dry it out.