Asked on Feb 20, 2016

Cutting plywood in 6" lengths for shiplap look on wall

Charlotte EakinDeeHelen
+6

We want to put plywood (maybe 3/16 or so - the paintable kind) on the wall in 6" wide strips to look like shiplap. I have seen some blogs who say even when Home Depot or Lowe's cuts the plywood for them it come out pretty ragged on edges. I was wondering if priming both sides first would cut down on chipping/shredding edges when we cut. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
  • Suzanne
    Suzanne

In my experience there are three things that will help. First, put masking tape over your cut lines. Second, use a sharp saw blade. Finally, make sure your blade, whether circular saw or table saw, is JUST out enough to complete your cut. If you have your blade at maximum extension it seems to create more tear out. I hope this helps and good luck :)

• Dee
    Dee

It does, thanks!

• Dee
    Dee

Also wondering if anyone know if I can purchase pre-cut 6" strips of paintable plywood??

• Marilee H
    Marilee H

I don't know of any big box store that sells plywood like that. MDF maybe, but not plywood.

• Helen
    Helen

I would try the laminate wood plank look. It is cut in strips and then you can paint it to match what you have...I think it comes in assorted colors

• Dee
    Dee

Thanks I've never seen, will look

• Dee
    Dee

Many thanks to all

• Charlotte Eakin
    Charlotte Eakin

On some woods, it helps to put a layer of tape down on the cut line before you use your power saw. I always use 2-3 lengths to mark on for the cut, and the others to protect the surface of the wood from any scratches on the saws bottom plate. Hope this helps you.