My Long Dark Hallway Needed Some Lights.

$50

My hallway was very plain and dark. It needed some sprucing up.

On the other side of this blank wall is my closet.

I did not get a before photo, but this is a window from an old storm door that I had laying around. I sprayed the back side of the windows with Rust-Oleum Frosted Glass so you could not see through them.

I added LED strip lighting on the back side of the wood framing. The lights come in different colors, but I chose white, and they have a sticky backing that adheres to the frame.

This is a closeup of the lights. There's an adapter that plugs into the end and this plugs into my timer. It's set to come on during the daytime only.

These are just L brackets that the window hangs on. It is out of the way so no one gets close enough to bump into it and possibly fall on them.

I added a lacy valance on the top and on the wall it went. Everyone that sees it thinks it's a real window. It brightens up the hall and makes me smile every time I walk by.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time

• Leah Robison
    Leah Robison

Holy cow! I love it! I just need to track down a window. I'm doing this one. Is it too bright to leave on at night?

• Veronica
      Veronica

I think you can buy these strip LED lights that have a dimmer built in. Check Amazon.

• Lori
    Lori

I love the idea. We have the same type hallway. Does it use electricity or is it battery operated? 👍❤️

• Catherine Boland
    Catherine Boland

Is the timer part of the led lights? So want these lights and timer for under my kitchen cupboards. Your project is really cool. What a bright idea, pardon the pun.