My Long Dark Hallway Needed Some Lights.

$50

My hallway was very plain and dark. It needed some sprucing up.

On the other side of this blank wall is my closet.

I did not get a before photo, but this is a window from an old storm door that I had laying around. I sprayed the back side of the windows with Rust-Oleum Frosted Glass so you could not see through them.

I added LED strip lighting on the back side of the wood framing. The lights come in different colors, but I chose white, and they have a sticky backing that adheres to the frame.

This is a closeup of the lights. There's an adapter that plugs into the end and this plugs into my timer. It's set to come on during the daytime only.

These are just L brackets that the window hangs on. It is out of the way so no one gets close enough to bump into it and possibly fall on them.

I added a lacy valance on the top and on the wall it went. Everyone that sees it thinks it's a real window. It brightens up the hall and makes me smile every time I walk by.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Dee

Are these lights powered by electricity? I really can use this in a couple places! Great idea and thanks for sharing !!!!😍👍

• Leah Robison

Holy cow! I love it! I just need to track down a window. I'm doing this one. Is it too bright to leave on at night?

• Veronica

I think you can buy these strip LED lights that have a dimmer built in. Check Amazon.

• Lori

I love the idea. We have the same type hallway. Does it use electricity or is it battery operated? 👍❤️

• Carol Sommerville

What a fabulous idea. This is so great! It looks like a real window. You did an awesome job!

• Judy

This is a wonderful idea. Im doing this in my basement, cause we have no windows. Maybe 3 to a wall. Holy cow!!! what a great idea. If there is ever a contest for good ideas, you will win. You are the best, girl. Keep it up!!!