My Long Dark Hallway Needed Some Lights.

$50

My hallway was very plain and dark. It needed some sprucing up.
my long dark hallway needed some lights, diy, foyer, home maintenance repairs, lighting, repurposing upcycling
On the other side of this blank wall is my closet.
I did not get a before photo, but this is a window from an old storm door that I had laying around. I sprayed the back side of the windows with Rust-Oleum Frosted Glass so you could not see through them.
I added LED strip lighting on the back side of the wood framing. The lights come in different colors, but I chose white, and they have a sticky backing that adheres to the frame.
This is a closeup of the lights. There's an adapter that plugs into the end and this plugs into my timer. It's set to come on during the daytime only.
These are just L brackets that the window hangs on. It is out of the way so no one gets close enough to bump into it and possibly fall on them.
I added a lacy valance on the top and on the wall it went. Everyone that sees it thinks it's a real window. It brightens up the hall and makes me smile every time I walk by.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Den1456729

Are these lights powered by electricity? I really can use this in a couple places! Great idea and thanks for sharing !!!!😍👍

• Leah Robison

Holy cow! I love it! I just need to track down a window. I'm doing this one. Is it too bright to leave on at night?

• Lori

I love the idea. We have the same type hallway. Does it use electricity or is it battery operated? 👍❤️

• Jpy26746379
      5 hours ago

For limited access to electricity you can get battery operated led lights.

• I love this idea for my finished basement. Thank you

• Yani

Yes, It's definitely doable but in our case not practical it's a cabinets that get used quite a bit and with two boys...nope ☺

I am looking into doing this in my office tho. Really like this idea.