My Long Dark Hallway Needed Some Lights.

$50

My hallway was very plain and dark. It needed some sprucing up.

On the other side of this blank wall is my closet.

I did not get a before photo, but this is a window from an old storm door that I had laying around. I sprayed the back side of the windows with Rust-Oleum Frosted Glass so you could not see through them.

I added LED strip lighting on the back side of the wood framing. The lights come in different colors, but I chose white, and they have a sticky backing that adheres to the frame.

This is a closeup of the lights. There's an adapter that plugs into the end and this plugs into my timer. It's set to come on during the daytime only.

These are just L brackets that the window hangs on. It is out of the way so no one gets close enough to bump into it and possibly fall on them.

I added a lacy valance on the top and on the wall it went. Everyone that sees it thinks it's a real window. It brightens up the hall and makes me smile every time I walk by.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper

• Leah Robison
    Leah Robison

Holy cow! I love it! I just need to track down a window. I'm doing this one. Is it too bright to leave on at night?

• Veronica
      Veronica

I think you can buy these strip LED lights that have a dimmer built in. Check Amazon.

• Lori
    Lori

I love the idea. We have the same type hallway. Does it use electricity or is it battery operated? 👍❤️

• Grace
      Grace

Jamie Tyler Smith, where would I get the small solar panels for this?

• Catherine Boland
    Catherine Boland

Is the timer part of the led lights? So want these lights and timer for under my kitchen cupboards. Your project is really cool. What a bright idea, pardon the pun.

• Tina Mcnicholas
      Tina Mcnicholas

I have the darkest kitchen in the world! I’ve changed my ceiling light so many times I’ve lost count! Nothing helps! I bought a strip of led lights and put them under my cabinets and it’s perfect! I love it! And all my friends comment on what have you done to your kitchen? I love it! Greatest home improvement in the world for me!

• Joyce Thiery
    Joyce Thiery

If I hadn't known that the "window" was put there, I would have thought it was a real window.

Beautiful

• Anna
    Anna

This is a stroke of genius!! It looks just like it's a window with sunlight! I love the way you think!! Solve a problem with something you already have!! Well, add a little extra! That window is a thing of beauty!! Well done!!