Anna M
Anna M
  • Cottonwood, CA

Homemade laundry detergent and why it works so well

$15

Homemade laundry detergent is all the rage these days but do you ever wonder if it really works? I love the idea of homemade laundry detergent, that costs a fraction of the price but I want to know that my clothes are actually getting clean, before I jump on the bandwagon!
The 4 basic ingredients of homemade laundry detergent are Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and Fels-Naptha bar soap. I also added Oxi Clean and doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil, to give it a little extra cleaning power, and a delicious citrus scent. Check out my full post to see how/why each of the ingredients work to create the best, most effective laundry detergent. Click here: http://askannamoseley.com/2013/05/the-best-homemade-laundry-detergent-and-why/
Edit: This detergent can be used in a front loading washing machine, there are instructions if you click on the link above. It is also safe to use if you have a septic system, I researched all of the individual ingredients and they are all safe to use. My sister has been using this for years on her septic system and she has never had any problems.
Borax is a natural laundry booster because of it's unique ability to clean, by converting some water molecules to hydrogen peroxide.
The high alkalinity of washing soda helps it act as a solvent to remove a range of stains.  Also adding Fels-Naphta helps eliminate residual stains. It works as a stain remover, for tough stains
The high alkalinity of washing soda helps it act as a solvent to remove a range of stains. Also adding Fels-Naphta helps eliminate residual stains. It works as a stain remover, for tough stains
Download this free printable to make your laundry detergent into cute gifts or just look cute in your laundry room!
Anna M

• Mary Ann

Can you use this in the new washers that call for high efficiency laundry detergent?

• Marcia Robbins

Yes. I have high efficiency front loaders and have been using for a few years. I do occasionally use liquid for gentle cold water loads but use the powder with warm and cold water in most general loads.

• Eyesdebo

I get cooking oil on my work shirts..Do I still need to pre-treat if I use this homemade detergent?

• Gina

Yes, but I use dawn for mypretreat,works great

• User

Is this only for white laundry? I'm concerned that the peroxide will bleach colors from the clothes.. =o/
  • Geneva Milby

HOW TO MAKE IT
  • Norma Vanderveer

What amount do u use for one regular load of laundry?
  • Tam 15076171

Where do you get Fels -Naptha from?

• Fran Williams

I have clumping of soap when washing my cloths, leaving soapy residu on my laundry. What can I do to stop that? I use cold water . Do I need to change my grated soap?

• Patricia

Did I miss how to mix it all together is there a recipe?Thanks

• Deb

is this safe to use with HE machines? Thx

• Cary Evonne Richardson

Yrs, I've been using it for more tha 5 years. It's sudslezs and is great and safe in all types of washing machines.

• Marian Spurling

My family complains that our clothes don't SMELL clean when using this recipe. Is there any way that a scent can be added (such as a non staining Essential oil-like Lavender) or another fresh smelling idea? I personally love the homemade soap & don't want to switch. TY!!

• Terry Dixon Taylor

We use purex laundry sents. They are in the laundry isle in our winco or another dry laundry scent like unstopables. When i make this it saves me $120 to $240 dollars a year on laundry soap and doesnt bother our sensitive skin or our asthma.

• Charlotte Childers

I sometimes add lemon essential oil to the mix. Works great.

• Patricia

Where IS the recipe? There is no way to download it either. Would love to try this!

• Amy

Hydrogen peroxide acts like a bleach, what does this do to you clothing. I wear a lot of poly blend clothes for dress, I'm wondering how they would try out.

• Tammy

How much of each one do you add. I didn't see a recipe anywhere I would like to try this .