Vickie G
Vickie G
  • Greeley, CO

Garden Globes

After seeing so many posts on diy garden globes, I just had to try it. I started searching for old bowling balls but all I found were priced too high. Then little by little, it all came together and and I now have six garden globes that I just love. Hope you do too.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, I found these lighting globes at the Goodwill for half off
I found these lighting globes at the Goodwill for half off.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, I started applying glass flat sided marbles Dollar Tree with this adhesive but they started sliding and I got impatient so I went to hot glue Worked great and no slipping
I started applying glass flat sided marbles(Dollar Tree) with this adhesive but they started sliding and I got impatient, so I went to hot glue. Worked great and no slipping.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, Stones from Dollar Tree and a few engraved stones left over from my daughter s wedding
Stones from Dollar Tree and a few engraved stones left over from my daughter's wedding.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, Fast forward six different globes
Fast forward, six different globes.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, After a few weeks of researching and shopping for the cheapest and best choice of grout I found a bag for 2 at the Habitat Restore Messy job for indoors but snow outside made me do it in a large tub on my kitchen table
After a few weeks of researching and shopping for the cheapest and best choice of grout, I found a bag for $2 at the Habitat Restore. Messy job for indoors but snow outside made me do it in a large tub on my kitchen table.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, This is the adhesive I used always on hand great stuff to put a base on my globes since they are open on the bottom I has silicone so it will be water tight I wanted to make them as outdoor friendly as possible
This is the adhesive I used (always on hand, great stuff) to put a base on my globes since they are open on the bottom.I has silicone so it will be water tight. I wanted to make them as outdoor friendly as possible.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, Again being the cheap skate I am I found lg mason jar lids at the Habitat Restore They fit over the opening perfectly I used plenty of adhesive around the ring and inside the ring sealing it completely
Again, being the cheap-skate I am, I found lg. mason jar lids at the Habitat Restore. They fit over the opening perfectly. I used plenty of adhesive around the ring and inside the ring sealing it completely.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, Some only had the ring so I used some bottom pieces from old Tupperware parfait glasses
Some only had the ring so I used some bottom pieces from old Tupperware parfait glasses.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, After letting the bases dry over night resting on plastic bowls in the background time for a paint job To protect the globes I cut circles in the bottom of grocery bags and taped them tight around the globes
After letting the bases dry over night(resting on plastic bowls,in the background), time for a paint job. To protect the globes, I cut circles in the bottom of grocery bags and taped them tight around the globes.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, I had just enough left over paint from other projects to do the bases
I had just enough left over paint from other projects to do the bases.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, It was a bit colder outside than the paint recommends but it dried fast
It was a bit colder outside than the paint recommends, but it dried fast.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, Finished drying inside
Finished drying inside.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, Now they sit upright and are water tight and weather protected I think they are so cute
Now they sit upright and are water tight and weather protected. I think they are so cute.
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, After about 2 1 2 weeks and countless inches of snow I can finally get outside to seal the grout I used Thompsons water seal had cedar colored on hand
After about 2 1/2 weeks and countless inches of snow, I can finally get outside to seal the grout. I used Thompsons water seal (had cedar colored on hand).
garden globes, crafts, mason jars, I poured some in a plastic container and used a cheat chip brush to slather it on Make sure you cover your table this is messy
I poured some in a plastic container and used a cheat chip brush to slather it on. Make sure you cover your table, this is messy.
And wear gloves.
Don't worry about the cloudy way the marbles look. Let them dry for a couple hours and wipe off the stones and marbles with an old cloth.
After a bit of elbow grease, they shine like new.
Now, find the perfect place for them in the garden.
Now if only my gardens recoup from the long, cold winter we've had. Happy Spring, everyone.

• Heather

Also learned my lesson, hot glue gun projects do not work in NC sun.

This is why you use grout. Unfortunately you didn't show us how you did it.

Questioning why you didn't paint the bottoms before attaching them?

• Kat Rogers

I LOVE THOSE!

Did the Cedar Color look good? I imagine that it would match really well with the globe covered with rocks.

I'm looking forward to making these beautiful globes~ a fun, easy & creative project!

Thanks for sharing!

• Donna Renaud
    30 minutes ago

Why didn't you show us the finished product ? Would love to see it !