Vickie G
Vickie G
  • Greeley, CO

Garden Globes

After seeing so many posts on diy garden globes, I just had to try it. I started searching for old bowling balls but all I found were priced too high. Then little by little, it all came together and and I now have six garden globes that I just love. Hope you do too.
I found these lighting globes at the Goodwill for half off.
I started applying glass flat sided marbles(Dollar Tree) with this adhesive but they started sliding and I got impatient, so I went to hot glue. Worked great and no slipping.
Stones from Dollar Tree and a few engraved stones left over from my daughter's wedding.
Fast forward, six different globes.
After a few weeks of researching and shopping for the cheapest and best choice of grout, I found a bag for $2 at the Habitat Restore. Messy job for indoors but snow outside made me do it in a large tub on my kitchen table.
This is the adhesive I used (always on hand, great stuff) to put a base on my globes since they are open on the bottom.I has silicone so it will be water tight. I wanted to make them as outdoor friendly as possible.
Again, being the cheap-skate I am, I found lg. mason jar lids at the Habitat Restore. They fit over the opening perfectly. I used plenty of adhesive around the ring and inside the ring sealing it completely.
Some only had the ring so I used some bottom pieces from old Tupperware parfait glasses.
After letting the bases dry over night(resting on plastic bowls,in the background), time for a paint job. To protect the globes, I cut circles in the bottom of grocery bags and taped them tight around the globes.
I had just enough left over paint from other projects to do the bases.
It was a bit colder outside than the paint recommends, but it dried fast.
Finished drying inside.
Now they sit upright and are water tight and weather protected. I think they are so cute.
After about 2 1/2 weeks and countless inches of snow, I can finally get outside to seal the grout. I used Thompsons water seal (had cedar colored on hand).
I poured some in a plastic container and used a cheat chip brush to slather it on. Make sure you cover your table, this is messy.

• Cathy Hays

Adorable idea! I have two of these old globes in my closet that I am absolutely going to do this. One question for you. Did you put yours on stands or did you place them on the ground? Just wondering if stands what size stand and where you found them? Thanks for sharing your project!

• Sadie

Hi I love your project. I have two large globes from old ceiling fans. I understand most of your instructions. But you didn't say what you used to grout with. Is it concrete or regular grout tiles? Your results are awesome.

• Karena Stetson

The finished project would be nice to see. Can you post a picture of that please.

• Jea29403251

I think it would be more fun to put concrete (sucrete) inside the globes, let it harden, then break the glass off, making the balls after putting the decorations, less likely to break--- for outside use. I love these though.

• Linda A Mersereau

yes i will definately try this. i am looking for ways to jazz up my front and my husband says too much flowers. don't know the end result yet but am willing to try. I am disabled by a stroke but willing to try most anything once!! dollar tree here i come again!! love that place!