Coffee Stirrer DIY Wall Art

$7
1.5 Hours

I'm big on projects that anyone can do. And this is one of those projects. If you can smear paint on wood and use scissors, you can make this easy "reclaimed wood" art. All in, this project costs less than $7. That's a lot of eye candy bang for your buck.
And how do we ensure we get this awesome organic woody texture? Coffee stirrers.
Yup, you heard me, coffee stirrers.
My mom and I did this project together when she was in town visiting. Most of our time together on these occasions is spent planning crafts, buying supplies for crafts and making crafts. I feel so lucky that she was born with the "busy hand" gene and passed it down to me too.
COFFEE STIRRER DIY WALL ART SUPPLIES:
Wooden frame(s). We got these at Michael's in the wood section for $1.49 each. (Talk about a cheap frame!) I used three for my project. You could also use a normal picture frame and remove the glass to let all your great woody texture show.
Acrylic paint.
A paint brush.
Coffee stirrers. (Buy some or recycle the ones you use in your coffee. I also got some wooden sticks from Walmart for $3 that were a slightly different width to add extra texture and dimension. I've seen LOTS of wooden sticks of varying sizes at Hobby Lobby too.)
Scissors.
Glue. Tacky glue. Elmer's Glue. Whatev.
A picture hanger (optional).
Okay, first things first. Choose a color palette. Doing this first--before I even crack the first bottle of paint--always helps reduce my hemming and hawing during the creative process.
So, once you've got your palette, it's time to paint your frames and your coffee stirrers! I just sort of guessed how many sticks I needed in total and I ended up needing to paint more which was kind of annoying. I'd suggest painting more than you think you'll need. Coffee stirrers are basically free anyhow.
My mom and I did our painting as the sun was setting, which is always a questionable decision. Seems to have turned out okay.
I was going for the reclaimed driftwood sort of look. Like these coffee stirrers were wood siding that had been battered by 100 years of ocean rain on the coast of Maine and freshly plucked from the side of dilapidated house. (A doll house. These sticks are tiny.)
Once your coffee stirrers are painted, it's time to trim them to fit into the frame(s) you've chosen. I found the quickest way to do this is to measure one stick to be the length you need it and then use it as the guide for trimming all the others. (Please excuse the paint under my nails. DIY dirty girl!)
I used some sticks at their full length and then I also combined multiple pieces to create more of a patchwork effect. The only key when combining sticks is to use sticks that are the same width so that you aren't left with awkward gaps in between the vertical rows.
After I finished the set of three, I realized I didn't like the red splashes of color. Nothing a little butter knife couldn't pry out.
Add a picture hanger to the back if your frame doesn't already have one and plop those puppies up on the wall! Voila! DIY wall art that cost less than $7 total.
There are lots of cool things you can do with these sticks, from placing them in the frame at an angle, or even cutting the "seams" between the sticks at angles. There's no wrong way to do it. And as far as I can tell, there's no shortage of coffee stirrers either, so go ahead and get crazy!
Check out the link below for lots more affordable, modern DIY art ideas to freshen-up your walls. Most can be made for $10 or less!

Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
15 Perfectly Round Tables
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Jess | MakeAndDoCrew.com

• Rory McBean

I love this project and almost ready to put it all together. Towards the beginning of your post, you say to use sticks of various widths. Towards the end you say to make sure the sticks are the same width. Would you please verify? Thank you so much!
    • Say29383439

Each stick in the same row should be the same width. Then the next row could still be that size or it could vary but match the width of the sticks in its own row.

• Dorie Minden

What did you use to trim them to the sizes? Looking for clean cuts. May cost a little more money yet better color choices getting paint samples from home improvement stores.

• Donna

I wonder if this would work with paint stirrers too - much larger scale of course but the wood might be nicer. Another variation might be to dye the wood with food coloring (diluted with water) it would preserve the wood grain I think. Love this project.

• Allison

Beautiful! I’m definitely adding this to my Must Make This List. Thanks for sparking my imagination.

• Shirley Stewart

I think I will try this. It would be a GREAT project for kids.