Rosemary B
Rosemary B
  • Clermont, FL
Asked on Feb 23, 2012

I have solid oak cabinets and want to change the look. what are the pros and cons of paint vs color lacquer

Anna Le BlancTradition Wood WorksDesigns by BSB
+9

• 3po3

Lacquer looks really nice, but of course aesthetics are a personal choice. However, it is harder to do properly than paint. If you have never lacquered before, you might want to practice on some scrap pieces of similar size before you take to these nice oak cabinets.

• Tradition Wood Works

We always use tinted lacquer, mostly because we can spray it, dries much faster and is tougher. Depends on the look you want.

• Rosemary B

Thanks Steve, my husband has actually boycotted this particular project so... I am getting professional quotes from both cabinet refinishers, who repair or recolor cabinets with lacquer and painters. I have mixed reviews from both professionals. Each thinking their product is best. This is my very active and well used kitchen cabinets and I really want a hardy and nice look. I am putting granite on the counters and am just tired of the 20 yr old custom oak cabinets but not tired enough to replace them. Are either of these coatings stronger or better than the other? I think I can get the cottage look I am trying to achieve with either of them. Thank you for your response.

• 3po3

Again, I think a lot of the answer comes down to personal aesthetics. I think lacquer should last longer, but it will be tougher to touch up if needed. Or you could just give me your custom oak cabinets =)

• Lacquer is going to hold up better but should only be done by a professional and sprayed. We paint cabinets all of the time and it holds up well, especially if we use oil-based paint. There have been alot of postings here lately about the Anne Sloan chaulk paints....I wonder if anyone has used them on a kitchen cabinet project. This might be an option so search back through the posts and contact those who have used them. I'm planning to try them on a bathroom project HandyANDY is doing.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

As long as you have no preference look-wise, re-color with semi-transparent lacquer because it is the most durable (it is harder) and least maintenance (because the finish won't show as much wear as a solid color). In general, the only coatings you should consider are catalyzed; this means they are chemically hardened by using a two part system. I used to do cabinets but default to a cabinet man now because the systems have become so highly developed for great after-market results. Best, Charles

• Rosemary B

So the general consensus is that lacquer will hold up better than painted cabinets , the difference being more of the oak grain will show through a cream colored lacquer? is lacquer the finish of choice around the sink area also?

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Good question because that's where coatings will fail first. The failure I have seen in the past is because not enough coating or not the catalyzed coating has been used. Question the contractor about the details of what kind of finish he will use and how many coats. Lacquer, being thinner than paint or varnish, usually requires more coats. Sometimes all that may be needed is an additional clear coat for it to last twice as long. Also, try to get handles that minimize the possibility of any contact with the wood. Best, Charles

• Rosemary B

Thank you all so much> This is a wonderful resource! Really appreciate all of your knowledge.I will pick the cabinet refinishers brain and ask about the product

• Designs by BSB

Good luck Rosemary, goodness you asked a great question and these pros know their stuff! Enjoyed reading myself!

• Tradition Wood Works

For kitchens or bathrooms where moisture might be an issue we use some different products, there are several that offer superior moisture resistance. We typically only only apply 2 coats, one to seal and then the finish coat with clear over stain, tinted colors will get 3 depending on the color/wood used, one primer/base coat and the 2 color. Most everyone (pro's) have their own favorite product to use, not sure any one is better than the others, mostly a matter of preference.

• Anna Le Blanc

I re-vamped our kitchen cabinets. I sanded and painted them black and then put on 2 coats of polyurethane. They turned out really great and the poly keeps them from scratching and it's easy to clean

q i have solid oak cabinets and want to change the look what are the pros and cons of, kitchen cabinets, painting