Brenda Walmsley
Brenda Walmsley
  • Canada

Making kitchen shelves from reclaimed wooden shutters.

Wanda sinnemaLtt834476Brenda Walmsley
+1

I have a blank wall in my cottage kitchen. Bought 7 wooden shutter panels today= Want to put them on the wall as open shelves- clean them/ paint them and mount them, Any design ideas?
  • Jeanette S

I can only suggest that you make sure these are still sturdy...no weak spots. To aid in keeping them clean, you might want to put a piece of thin plexiglass on top for not only easy wiping but a more level setting base. For supports, square posts cut to the right depth can be used as braces...pick the right size for the size of the shutters...they can be left natural or stained or distressed. Shutters can be attached to braces and braces can be attached to wall with small "L" brackets.

• Brenda Walmsley

Thanks - Should of thought all of this through before I bought them - but I am determineed to make something beautiful- may take a while.

• Ltt834476

Can you post picture of your kitchen wall? That would help on a design idea. And what style and color is currently in your kitchen?

• Wanda sinnema

I have seen them used as jewelry hangers at trade shows.. wire pierced earrings mostly, they can be a mess to keep organized.. take up wall space not counter or dresser top space.. the ones I liked were painted white, and also had a few cute hooks on the sides for necklaces and bracelets down the other side. I had thought about hanging a mirror just above it for a quick look.. just a thought.