You want your own island?? Make one! DIY Kitchen island.

I needed an kitchen island desperately as I love to cook. So I made one by buying two prefab cabinets that matched my already existing kitchen (or think outside the box and go with a different color). One cabinet was a two door/two drawer cabinet, the other a one door one drawer. I clamped them together and bolted them together from the inside. Then I bought dry erase board in white to cover the back of the island , I glued it with construction glue after cutting it to measurement. (My son loved to practice his spelling words on it and draw when he was little). Next I bought some corner molding and painted it white to seal the corners of the island for a finished look. (The granite was not my doing- had a company do it- but before I got granite I went to a Corian place and had a counter top made for my island in the measurements I wanted). I made sure when they cut the granite they gave me enough of a ledge for stools if I wanted in the future.
**I have since remodeled the kitchen again, and am now going to tackle the re-surfacing of it.**
New Kitchen Island
New Kitchen Island- the backing is Dry Erase Board!!
New Kitchen Island
New Kitchen Island
BEFORE Kitchen Island- NO ISLAND!!! Unhappy cook!
AFTER kitchen Island- HAPPY Cook! Do not know how I cooked without it! (since this picture, the kitchen has gone another transformation and am looking to resurface the cabinets soon)

• Suz

...what does one say after viewing your posting-- "Nice, very nice!" thanks for sharing a must clip = )...

• Cin1377338

Where did you buy the chairs?