Painting Wood Blinds!

$12.00

Oh yes we did! I started a ginormous DIY project in our old house and promised The Husband I'd do it on a shoestring budget.As you know necessity is the mother of either invention or stupid ideas! :)
Either way, painting our wood blinds was one of the ways I got a big bang for our buck! This project isn't hard it's just takes time-so if you have more time than money and want to update your windows...this may work for you!
These windows are floor to ceiling & when I remodeled the den using a light and airy design the dark wood blinds didn't work. My remodel budget was next to nothing so I had to do something drastic! I repainted those dark blinds!
To take out the slats you simply remove the knot at the bottom of the blinds that hold the slats together. Then slip string out...the string runs through every slat from top to bottom (each slat has 2 ) Now, remove the slats.
We set up a table with all the slats lined up-painted one side-let dry-paint other side. When dry, thread the slats into their "hammocks" & thread the strings back through the slits in the slats and tie off at the bottom!
Big bang for our buck! We have since moved but still own that house and those blinds are still up and look as good as they did the first day we painted them!
All Things Heart and Home

• Bnj13362502

Did you paint the cord too?

• R Walter

From the picture, it doesn't appear that she did.
    • Tami

I am also wondering about the cords. I have light brown wood blinds and would love to paint white or light gray, but the cords are light brown as well?

• Teresa

Can you paint ordinary vinyl blinds and what preparation and paint could you use?
  • Irene Maldonado

I didn't understand how you removed the slats ☹️
    • R Walter

You remove the plugs at the bottom of the blind and pull the cords that run thru the slots on each slat. Make sure that the blinds are fully extended when you do this. When you get ready to replace the slats just thread the cords back thru the holes of each individual slat then thru the bottom rail, retie the knots, and insert the plugs.
    • Philip D. Chendemi

What if you have 3 cords?

• Durelle Hatlestad

Has anyone ever painted metal blinds?
  • Louise Ruddock

Did you spray or use a paintbrush? Also would it be easy to replace the cords?
  • Susie

can vinyl blinds be painted

• Mae Hawkins

Thank you for this!!! Moved in our house a year ago, and the blinds are yellowed. Didn't want to buy new, so this is definitely the resolution for me!
  • Joanie

I would paint the strings also. Try anything once.....my blinds are oldies.