Buddy O
Buddy O
  • Durham, NC
Asked on Feb 23, 2012

water dispenser on GE fridge sometimes works,sometimes not.Filter changed recently. Any ideas what I might try?

Dot MBuddy OCharlene S
+2

• GE has had alot of problems with this...especially on the side-by-side units. When it does work, is it a trickle of water or full volume? If you have a saddle valve connection to copper plumbing...it's a long shot...but try turning that all the way off and all the way back on. More than likely, the water line itself is freezing up. You can try backing off on the temps for you meat drawer & crisper drawer if your model has those. There is a heater kit add-on you can install for about $50 that is supposed to remedy the problem. You can also try leaving the light at the water dispenser on at night with the thought that it generates enough heat to keep the line clear of ice. I had a GE and switched to LG.....and never a problem the past 2 years.....great product and good quality. I try fixing most of these things myself and am usually successful!

• Buddy O

We adjusted the temp setting in the fridge, water has been working ever since. Thanks Handy Andy

• Charlene S

Have you moved your fridge for cleaning? Possibly you have kinked the tubing or flattened it if it is copper so that the water is building up behind the kink then suddenly pushing through. I don't know, it's just a thought.

• Buddy O

We adjusted the temp down in fridge. This seems to be the problem. Working well now.

• Dot M

When my double side frig/ freezer water line stopped working it turned out to be frozen in the line inside the freezer door. Used a hair dryer going up and down the outside of the door to thaw it out. Just another suggestion.