A New Life for an Old Filing Cabinet

$50
1 Day

I was almost ready to throw this outdated old filing cabinet out when I had an idea. I remembered an expensive campaign dresser I had seen in an expensive home decor store, and thought I could give my filing cabinet a glamourous makeover!
With some paint and new hardware, this icky old filing cabinet looks like a whole new piece of furniture. I adore it now!
Here's what it looked like before - it's laminated MDF in an outdated honey oak finish.
I cleaned it, painted it with a chalk style paint...
... and then installed some inexpensive, chunky brass hardware.
Doesn't it look so much better?!
For more photos, material sources and a video tutorial of this project, please visit my blog post.

Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Christina Dennis

• Toni Lee
    Toni Lee

Hi there. I see your paint is from Canada. Do you know a comparable type in the US? I love this - color and all and would love to make one soon! Thanks!

• Sherri
    Sherri

I love the drawer pulls. Where did you buy them?

• Sherri
      Sherri

Thanks Christina. I couldn't find them there but I found some on-line. I can't wait to copy your idea. I have two old file cabinets I was thinking of getting rid of but now I can give them new life instead!

• Claudine Dionne
    Claudine Dionne

I absolutely love the makeover! Did you seal the piece, or just leave the chalk paint?

• Geezer Wench
    Geezer Wench

Wow. This filing cabinet looks great. I have a couple of similar lateral file cabinets, and after being moved a few times, having a water pipe burst above them (luckily they didn't get too wet), and moved again, they are really beat and kind of nasty looking. You've done a great job and have inspired me. We just can't afford to replace them, even with brand new (crappy) laminated MDF!
  • MsPhit
    MsPhit

Thanks! Beautiful idea. I’m going to try this