Happyhappynester
Happyhappynester
  • San Francisco, CA

DIY Tin Can Containers and Organizers

If you are like me, you may have some empty tin cans around your home. I added some scrapbooking paper, a cute knob and a chalkboard label to these cans, and now they are adorable additions to my kitchen. They make excellent storage containers for organizing a kitchen.
diy tin can containers and organizers, chalkboard paint, crafts
I will provide you with a quick tutorial of how to create these containers, but for more details about this project visit my blog linked below.
Materials
Tin can with lid
Scrapbook paper
Spray adhesive
Clear Varnish
Chalkboard sticker paper/template
Chalkboard pen
Knob
First, cut out your paper to size. Apply a couple coats of varnish to both sides of your paper. This will protect your paper from minor stains.
Apply a coat of spray adhesive to the back of the paper and place on the tin can.
Use a nail with a similar width to the screw and hammer it into the center of the lid. Then attach the knob to the top with a nut screwed on inside.
Cut out your chalkboard label and place on the covered canister. Use the chalkboard pen to write on your label. If you like chalkboard projects here is another.
Here are my finished containers on my kitchen shelf. To read more about this project and many others, head over to my blog: www.happyhappynester.com
Cheers,
Janine

Happyhappynester

• Mindy Forror Bisesi

I've never seen that chalkboard paper. Is it like contact paper with an adhesive back or did you use the spray glue to affix it?

• Happyhappynester

Hi Mindy,It is chalkboard contact paper which is very cool. I make a ton of my own labels. If you check out my blog post there is a link to buy a roll. Also, I have a few other organizing posts with labels, I love to organize! Thanks for you question!

• Susan

Where do you get the lids?

• Happyhappynester

Hi Susan, Lindy and Brenda are correct in that the lid came with the can. The tin can is an Illy coffee tin, they are the cutest and you probably can find them in your grocery store in the coffee isle. Good luck and thank for you question!

• Donna

Really cute....will have to search for such nice cans, other than that brand of coffee which we don't use. Did you design your own template for the labels, or are they available somewhere to buy? Thanks for such a creative idea.

• Really cheerful looking yet practical storage tins, and I love the chalkboard labels!! I love projects like these that incorporate fun patterns into everyday living. Wonderful idea!

• AbadinBandB

Great idea , love all that aims for reuse, recycle and not polluting our environment !!! Great Job !!