Glenn P
Glenn P
  • Suwanee, GA
Asked on Feb 25, 2012

My home is 22 years old. I want to put more insulation in the attic. The existing insulation was sprayed in.

Kathy DHandyANDY - Handyman & All Repairs, LLCGlenn P
+3

Do I have to remove the old insulation?
  • 3po3

No. You shouldn't have to remove the old insulation unless there is water damage or lots of mouse leavings or such. Also, nice photo.

• Harold M

No, don't remove it. If it was me, I'd blow in more on top, or get unfaced insulation and lay it across the ceiling joist. Either way, wear a resperator for this job.

• Unless it is somehow "gone bad" such as mold or critter remains, you can just go over the top of the old stuff.

• Glenn P

Thanks to all. My pending project will now get started. Thanks for recognizing the photo of Gabby Hayes. Childhood hero who fought bad guys!

• No...just supplement it with more blown-in and realize that it will settle over time and you'll need to add to it again somewhere down the road.

• Kathy D

do not remove it, just add more