Norma M
Norma M
  • Jonesboro, GA
Asked on Feb 25, 2012

how to lay landscape stones

KMS Woodworks3po3Norma M
+2

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Norma, what type landscape stones are you putting down? Small pieces like gravel or bigger pieces to make step stones ?

• KMS Woodworks

Larger "steppers" or flagstone is often laid over a prepped compacted bed of fine gravel / sand

• Norma M

They are the block u get at H Depot/Lowes. I need to know how to dig and set them to be straight and even-using as a circle and a straight border.

• 3po3

I think the best way to make a straight line is to pull a string line taut between two stakes. Then dig a nice trench along that line. For the circle, I would measure out your circle and stake it out, then use a garden hose to "draw" the line. Either way, you will then dig a trench about an inch wider and 1.5 inches deeper than your pavers. Lay in landscape fabric, then add two inches of sand. Smooth and compact the sand, then lay in your pavers so the edges are slightly higher than your soil level. Brush more sand over the top and backfill the gap with soil. Hope that makes sense. Good luck with the project.

• KMS Woodworks

The use of a polymeric sand as your last filler will help hold it all together. Polymeric sand "sets up" a bit when exposed to moisture.