Sow and Dipity
Sow and Dipity
  • Canada

Make your own Potting Mix

I rarely buy bags of potting soil from the garden center...I just make my own using a few simple ingredients.
Start with compost, add peat, perlite and fertilizer and mix well.
You can buy a big bale of compressed peat and large bag of perlite, depending on how much you need, these could last you quite a few seasons.
The fertilizer could be a slow release formula or a generic all purpose. I add more fertilizer depending on application ( hanging baskets for instance would get a handful more at planting time.
I just get in there with my garden gloved hands and give it a good mixing pulling out any large pieces that need more time to cook in the compost.
Your ratio should be about:
Compost= 60%
Peat= 30%
Perlite=10%
+ a few handfuls or more of fertilizer pending on size of mix.
For more info on composting visit: http://www.sowanddipity.com/the-dirt-on-composting/
In this picture: Compost on the bottom, peat to the left, perlite to the right, handful of fertilizer to the front.
Simple ingredients
Simple ingredients
Just look at how perfect this mix is.... homemade :)
Sow and Dipity

• Michelle

what type of fertilizer do you recommend for perennial flowers. I live in Zone 6, Boston area. In the process of making a slope into another garden but want to admend the soil. I removed the grass. I have sand in one large area.

• Renee F

I can never generate enough compost. I end up buying more

• Lindsey Kushner

It may be different in the UK, but many of us here are buying peat-free compost/fertiliser because of sustainability issues Lindsey Kushner, Manchester, UK