Deltagardener
Deltagardener
  • Canada

Does anyone know what this is?

Joni MillsLlm2483719Diane Navarro Tippetts
+8

I was packing my Moms sewing stuff and this tool was in with her wool. It has a needle that pops in and out when you turn the handle.
q does anyone know what this is, tools
q does anyone know what this is, tools
  • Leslie D

My best guess would be that it's a fancy "sewing awl" or speedy stitcher, although the crank is throwing me off a bit. They're made for making quick repairs to heavy fabrics, like canvas or leather, or even heavy wool fabrics, where a normal sewing needle would be too difficult to stitch by hand.

• Barbie Furth

I think it is a rug hooking or latching tool.

• Jessica C

I think it looks like a gizmo for stitching on buttons.

• Deltagardener

Thanks for the ideas everyone. It looks like it would be handy for making belt holes too.

• KMS Woodworks

It is rare...what ever it is (some type of hand stitching tool) I just spent a bit of time googling it and did not find anything close.

• Deltagardener

I too have spent some time looking under antique sewing tools but havent found it yet. I also found my grandmothers knitting belt which is so cool to hold on to. Thanks again!

• Valerie

I would go along with Barbie Furth's idea that it is probably a rug hooking tool.

• Deltagardener

Thank you!

• Diane Navarro Tippetts

Leather sewing awl

• Llm2483719

I think maybe that rather than a rug hook tt may be a very old punch needle. Yes for rugs but a punch set up to make a punched rug. I can't see if the needle has a groove to lay down the thread. My best guess

• Joni Mills

This is called a Danish Made Rotary Making Tool Denmark by Tas Tool. It is a rug making tool. If you click on this link (https://www.etsy.com/listing/125069557/danish-made-rotary-rug-making-tool) you will find your item listed.