Katie Nathey
Katie Nathey
  • Alpharetta, GA

DIY Wood Shim Artwork

Here is a some artwork I made out of wood shims. I plan to make some more of these but would like to create different patterns with the shims. You could use scrap wood, popsicle sticks, paint stir sticks, etc. So easy! Check out my blog for the full post and tutorial.
Completed DIY Wood Shim Art
Completed DIY Wood Shim Art
This is what the frame looked like before
Finished Wood Shim Art
Finished Wood Shim Art
Painting the wood shims
Painting the wood shims
Cutting the wood shims so they would fit in the frame. You could purchase a pack of shorter wood shims though, so you could possibly skip this step.
Close up
Close up
Katie Nathey

• Steph

I'd like to make this for my DD & SIL who just purchased their 1st home! It appears in 1 picture that the glass was replaced in the frame and the other pictures that it was not. Which way is preferred? Also, the lower-end frames now have cardboard backing, which I assume would not provide enough support. What backing would you suggest other than (heavy) wood? Thank you for any replies!