Cindy June 55
Cindy June 55
  • Little Rock, AR

Any ideas for painting a plywood subflooring including a staircase?

Sia@South 47thCindy June 55The Shabby Chic Man
+18

We are an aging couple who has little income for home improvement and in this economy must remain in our home which is covered in carpet and vinyl in the kitchen and laundry. Help!
  • Mary Insana

if you put painted floors in the search area you can find information from aothers that have painted their floors, heres one: http://www.hometalk.com/459415/how-to-paint-your-floors

• Amanda Chambers

I read an article, last night, in French Country Style, about painting plywood to look like plank style hardwood flooring. It is in this month's issue and really did look good. Hope this helps.

• Cindy June 55

Had one post with instructions but all the pictures were of floors done that were wood plank and we would be painting mainly plywood subflooring. The other post looked so positive, but I have been thus far unable to find the magazine referenced. (Will try again, tomorrow at Barnes & Nobles for this magazine) Would appreciate any more examples of what it would entail and how durable it is. We would also be painting over some vinyl flooring and I think from another article, it would be a similar venture to paint over vinyl flooring as it would plywood. Am hoping that maybe, also someone has painted a plywood staircase and maybe would have pics and advise on the pitfalls of doing this. I don't want my floors to look like vinyl, painted wood is just fine...only rather it didn't still have the piecemeal look of plywood when it is finished.

• Cindy June 55

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Sia@South 47th

Welcome to my Frugal Reno World! I've painted plain old plywood subfloors many times. First I sand, then I wipe, then vacuum. After that I Prime, using 2 coats. Now the fun begins! PAINT!! Cut in from the walls, then roll. Let dry then do a second application and let dry. Now you can decide if you want a pattern. If you do measure it out, tape it off and paint it. The patterns you can do are unlimited. Once that's done, then seal it. Wait 24 hours and add a second coat of sealer. Then wait at least 2 days before you walk on it. Just remember that latex paint must have a latex sealer and oil based paint must have an oil based sealer. As far as the Vinyl? I have never had much luck with painting over it. It's just easier (for me and I'm 56) to rip it up to get to the subfloor. Hope that helps a little! Can't wait for some pic's! xo

• Cindy June 55

Thank you for the suggestions but this doesn't answer my question because I am getting conflicting answers especially when it comes to painting vinyl flooring.....Help!!!

• Sia@South 47th

Vinyl? Sorry, I thought your question was about painting a "Plywood Sub-floor".

• The Shabby Chic Man

I have been in the Construction biz for over 30 years and Vinyl is very tricky. They make a Vinyl plank material that comes in 4 or 6 inch strips that you could overlay the existing floor. It looks just like wood and Home Depot or Lowes carry it and it is very easy to install. You will never find a paint to adhere to an existing Vinyl floor.

• Sia@South 47th

@The Shabby Chic Man Exactly! Vinyl is horrific to 'camouflage' You can't get much cheaper than ripping up the vinyl then painting the sub-floor. Anything else like painting OVER the vinyl will eventually 'crack' through. Not to mention the Pattern of the vinyl showing through. Vinyl expands and contracts. You could always lay down a new sub-floor over the vinyl and then paint, easy peasy to do and not expensive, however it is more expensive that just ripping that vinyl up. Please post a pic or 10, so we can see what you're dealing with. That I think would be helpful. xo

• The Shabby Chic Man

The Vinyl plank product I am talking about can be laid right over the existing vinyl. It goes down with glue also and looks like real wood and any novice can install it.

• Sia@South 47th

@The Shabby Chic Man How pricey is it compared to ripping out the vinyl and painting the sub-floor? I'm very curious, since we are undergoing this DIY whole house reno. Many thanks! xo

• The Shabby Chic Man

It would be more money but getting the old Vinyl ripped up is very difficult if it was glue properly. You could rent a floor sander after you got the bulk of the Vinyl up. Cost could be a little cheaper going your route. Not all floors have a sub-floor depending on how old it is. Plywood came into play but not sure when and it would not look good painted.

• Cindy June 55

House is 27 years old....I know plywood was around back then.....always assumed it was the subflooring....guess I should check....I can't imagine that it would be anything else but plywood. But, thanks, not if I can get said aging hubby to help me.....

• Cindy June 55

Had read where someone painted over vinyl and incorporated the pattern underneath the paint. We just want something that is easy to keep clean since we are stuck with this monstrosity.....have old carpet that has to come out and old, OLD vinyl in the kitchen/breakfast room. Thanks for all the info....that along with the other info I've been able to find should do it....I think.....

• Sia@South 47th

@The Shabby Chic Man I am going to apologize in response to your post right now, before you read on..... Sub-floors have been around since at least the 20th century (19th century and before in some areas). Different compositions for sure, but they have been here, there and everywhere. Typically in older homes they are some semblance of wood, planked or not. Newer homes, usually have concrete which is? A sub-floor. Please believe me when I say I'm not being snarky, but folks read things literally. SO when you say "Not all floors have a sub-floor" it makes me wonder just what you think they DO have??? Sand?? Dirt?? Yes, some do, you are correct and those would need to be brought up to code. As far as Vinyl? Ripping up vinyl in an older home is actually pretty easy, considering the cost of someone else coming in to "SWEAT", because that's basically all it takes....Sweat, and time. ANd Plywood does look good Painted, when properly prepared. In fact it was one of THE selling features of one of my homes. It's all in the Prep & details.

• Cindy June 55

Again, my home is 27 years (new/old) and sits atop a crawl space. Having been under there from what I can see and where I have gently pulled back the carpeting looks to me to be plywood. My husband and I are nearly 60 and neither of us is in the best of health...but as I said before....limited funds and a lousy housing market for the last 10 years have made ridding ourselves of this behemoth (2450 sq/ft) impossible unless we can redo A LOT OF THINGS....nuff said about our finances or the state of the housing market. We just want to make it livable for ourselves until we can figure out how to get unloaded from this gigantic waste of space for 2 people......

• Sia@South 47th

@Cindy June 55 Cheapest way is painting the plywood subfloor, after prepping it. If you want to spend some money on a sample can of paint for the vinyl? Get a small amount of primer, put that down on a 12x12 piece, then paint it and see how you like it. If you think it will be OK, then go that route. Again, ripping it up and painting the plywood will look better.

• The Shabby Chic Man

Sia I didn't realize the house was 27 years old so I am also surprised the floor is plywood. With the age of the house one would assume planked subfloor.

• Sia@South 47th

@The Shabby Chic Man Yes one would assume planked. Planked or Ply can be painted. It's frugal and looks great. Painting over vinyl, sometimes does not look so good.

• Cindy June 55

Nothing about this POS house has ever surprised me. Although it was inspected before we purchased it, we've found in the years since that it is about as cheaply made as any home I've ever seen.... done what we could.... new siding, roof, even major plumbing repairs, but it is a money-trap... never could get anyone to even make an offer on it so we could get out of it. Sorry laws in the state don't help homeowners who have purchased a home like this one!

• Sia@South 47th

@Cindy June 55 I feel your pain luv! Hang in there!! xo