Patricia
Patricia
  • Lebanon, OH

Easy Rustic Country Sign - DIY

$10

Today's post is about how I re-purposed an old window screen into a rustic country sign. This is a fun and easy project that can be customized for a variety of purposes!
easy rustic country sign diy, chalk paint, crafts, repurposing upcycling, windows
The screen I used for my project is large and measures approximately 55" high x 34" wide. But any size screen would work.
First clean the screen with soap and water. After it's dry apply a coat or two of shellac with a foam brush to both the frame and screen to provide a sealed base coat to work on.
Next I painted and distressed the wood frame. Then I taped off the window frame and lightened the screen by dry brushing it with Country Grey paint (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint). I kept the brush strokes random since I was planning for the finished project to look rustic.
I lightly aged the screen with a decorative glaze (Rustoleum Transformations in Java Brown). I used a foam brush to apply the glaze and used a damp paper towel to wipe off the excess.
I printed off an image and taped it to the back of the screen and traced the letters with a fine tip Sharpie permanent marker.
After I finished tracing the outline I used a thicker chisel-tipped Sharpie to fill in the letters. I turned the screen upside down for this step because it was easier for me to reach.
I repeated the steps for the text on the bottom portion of the screen. For extra dimension and a more finished look, I lined the back with burlap fabric by attaching it with a staple gun.
Definitely fun and easy! Be sure to stop by my blog for more details and photos of this project. :-)
Patricia

• Mary

Looks fantastic and gave me a great idea for an old screen I have laying around in the garage! Thanks!

• Shannon Bouldin

I see you have a clear wax in your materials. What did you use it on and at what point in the process?

• Patricia

I used the wax to seal the chalk paint on the frame.

• Kathie

Would you put this screen back inside window.?

• Patricia

This screen wasn't from my home and didn't fit any of my windows. However, the project could be done on a screen that will stay in a window. Another Hometalker told me about Baltimore screen paintings. If you google it you will see lots of images of painted screens hung in windows.