Christina H
Christina H
  • Manteno, IL
Asked on Feb 27, 2012

Why is it after I paint (using satin finish) that if I wipe off handprints that it leaves it glossy in that area?

Christina H3po3HandyANDY - Handyman & All Repairs, LLC
+3

• 3po3

Do you mean right after painting? And what are you using to wipe off the prints?

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Either it's a soapy chemical that you used while cleaning that was left on the surface or, most likely, you have polished the paint smooth and made it more shiny by rubbing too hard. This could be avoided in the future by using a top-line paint that cleans easier or doesn't mark as easily. 'Aura' by Bennie Moore or 'Duration Home' by Sher-Wms. are good ones. Best, Charles

• My guess is rubbing too hard. What have you been cleaning it with...and what brand of paint?

• Christina H

im not rubbing hard I use a sponge with water. I use a name brand from Menards...I'd have to find the paint can to tell you

• 3po3

Could be residue on the sponge. Do you get the same thing with paper towels?

• Christina H

Thanks Steve...I appreciate your time..I will try it