Getting someone to diagnose Garage floor cracking.

My garage floor has recently developed some significant cracks and I would like a professional to diagnose the problem and options to resolve it. I am wondering what profession is best to call? A concrete company, home inspector, or some type of engineer, or some other choice? Thanks for your help.

  • Amazing Improvements and Garages
    Amazing Improvements and Garages Marietta, GA
    on Feb 27, 2012

    Ray, when you say "significant" cracking... can you post some pics please. A general rule of thumb is if 2 nickels, placed side by side, can fit into the crack. If so, its structural. If you have lippage, where one side of the crack is higher than the other, you may have a void under the floor or worse, we have seen where contractors have placed organic matter in the garage and subsequently laid concrete over it. Over time, as the matter decays, the floor drops... As a start, please post a couple of pics and if you can, place a ruler on the floor so we can see the extent of the cracking... thanks!

    • Ray
      Ray Lilburn, GA
      on Feb 28, 2012

      A couple of pics are attached. The cracks are long, but I don't see lippage and they are generally about the width of 1 nickel at most or less. The house was built in 1980, and I hope to put it on the market to sell it by year end. I'm interested in knowing it isn't something that a home inspector would say was serious, and is it better to leave them as they are, or are there inexpensive ways to improve the look? Thanks for your reply.