Pam Swartz Cody
Pam Swartz Cody
  • Minden, NE

Painting and/or wallpapering plastic tiles in bathroom?

Terra GazelleCynthiaKMS Woodworks
+4

What have others used to cover the disgusting plastic tile in their bathrooms? I am at a loss and need advice?
  • KMS Woodworks

wall or floor? For long term durability ceramic or porcelain tile is the best, If these are tiles on the wall out side of the tub / shower area you could just scrap them off and do some drywall repair (skim coat or patch) and then apply regular bath paint.

• Pam Swartz Cody

I am just afraid that if I start scraping they will also pull down parts of my plaster wall!

• Rachel Bear

go to the hardware store and buy paint specifically for plastic, talk to the person in that department and they will help you.

• Pam Swartz Cody

have either of u done this? how did it turn out? share pictures please!

• KMS Woodworks

I have done a lot of repair to lathe and plaster walls. The goto product there is an elastomeric patching compound...it you have cracks you scrape them out and then apply the elastomeric. when it drys it is a bit rubbery and flexible this reduces the chance of future cracking. It takes a few coats to fill and it is tough to sand but worth it in the long run.

• Cynthia

Roman Pro-935 is made specifically to hang wallpaper on ceramic tile, glass or other NON-POROUS surfaces. We like it! @Pam Swartz Cody

• Terra Gazelle

clean the tiles really well use TSP ..you can get at any place like Lowes..it will clean and degloss the tiles Then, lightly sand the surface by hand with 180 grit sandpaper or sanding sponge. Once you have slightly roughened up the surface, run a tack cloth over the surface so you don't have sanding dust trapped under your paint. Prime with an oil base primer...you can use an oil base or latex paint, color of your choice. Do two coats and it should last for years.