Cynthia
Cynthia
  • Lancaster, KY

How can I keep birds from nesting in my hanging Boston ferns?

M.hiltgenUrsula KelledyMar10773072
+5

We love feeding and watching the finches in our yard but they are ruining my ferns! They are building nests down inside the ferns and breaking off the fronds at dirt level. Have removed several nests but they keep returning. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Patricia Pierson

Put some kind of shiny/moving deco in or around it. I went to Hobby Lobby and got some long picks and put them on the side away from the street. Also, when your ferns start to look pale or yellowish give them Epsons Salts. Desolve the salts in a little bit of warm water in your water bucket. Then,finish filling with water. Water fern!

• Diane

Last year someone told me to put crumpled up foil in my ferns and I did and for the 1st time...no birdnest. The birds stopped by for a look but went on to somewhere else. I'm certainly doing it again this year.

Apparently this is a common problem. One suggestion I read and liked was sticking plastic forks in the soil, tines side up.

• Linda Jeffries

I have tried wind chimes , rubber snakes, skewers...everything. The birds would build their nest on top of the rubber snakes and prop their nests on the skewers. So, just by chance I saw some pinwheels and stuck them in each hanging fern and low and behold....they won't come near them!!!!! I am now a happy fern owner!
  • Dianne Freeman Reeves

I need help..birds are taking over my ferns
  • Mar10773072

I'm afraid the babies will die.

• Ursula Kelledy

I have birds in my fern the nest is very small. One of the Babies fell out
  • M.hiltgen

Get one of those plastic owls sold at Home Depot. They look like the real thing and keep smaller birds away.