How to have HANGING FERNS that are the ENVY of the Neighborhood

$100

Want to know the secret to having gorgeous, lush ferns all through the hot Summer? I'll tell you. Psssst ... It's a DIY project!

Every Spring, I buy Boston ferns in hanging baskets at Lowe's or Home Depot.

My first secret is to remove the plastic pot they come in and replant them using a good-quality potting mix.

I prefer to use coir-lined wire baskets.

My BEST secret is to install a Rainbird slow-drip automatic watering system. It's a DIY project. Really. See the black tubes hanging down from the porch ceiling? When the ferns are hung, the tubes are placed above them.

The tubing is connected to a timer and then to a standard faucet. (Mine's in the basement, but yours can be anywhere.) In the heat of Summer, the timer is set to water twice a day for 10 minutes.

This pic was taken in October last year -- after a hot Summer. Ferns as large and lush as ever. Yours can be, too! Check out my blog link for more step-by-step pics.

How about doing the same thing for your flower beds? You can! http://www.hometalk.com/1455316/how-to-have-beautiful-plants-all-summer-long-even-when-you-re-away

• Drip irrigation system by Rainbird  (Home Depot)
  • Timer by Rainbird

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours

How do I keep birds from nesting in my ferns? I have lost the battle the last 3 years.

• Mary A. Bonnett

I resorted to placing black plastic forks (tines up) in the basket....can't be seen from street and has worked since I started doing this.

• Lydia

why do you have to buy your ferns every year?

• Mackenzie M

Do you put just one fern in each basket when you replant? Also do you use Miracle Grow potting soil like pictured? First timer! Thank you

• Yes, one fern per basket. Any potting soil brand is fine; that’s just the one we bought the year I wrote this post. Welcome to the family of envy-of-the-neighborhood fern growers!

• Gabrielle Falk

Ferns - of whatever type/sort - do not handle drying winds, scorching heat. Always put them in an area where they are protected from such. Water well, and spray the fronds. Feed with a gentle fertiliser - not a fertiliser that will burn - just a fertiliser that is soluble - keep the plants moist, and, again, atomise the whole plant. Clip off any dead, or dying fronds. That will help the fern regenerate, rather that trying to keep a dead extension (frond/s) alive.

• small Local greenhouses USE Very High quality potting soil to begin with.