Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours
Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours
  • Jefferson City, TN

How to have HANGING FERNS that are the ENVY of the Neighborhood

Want to know the secret to having gorgeous, lush ferns all through the hot Summer? I'll tell you. Psssst ... It's a DIY project!
how to have hanging ferns that are the envy of the neighborhood, flowers, gardening, Every Spring I buy Boston ferns in hanging baskets at Lowe s or Home Depot
Every Spring, I buy Boston ferns in hanging baskets at Lowe's or Home Depot.
how to have hanging ferns that are the envy of the neighborhood, flowers, gardening, My first secret is to remove the plastic pot they come in and replant them using a good quality potting mix
My first secret is to remove the plastic pot they come in and replant them using a good-quality potting mix.
how to have hanging ferns that are the envy of the neighborhood, flowers, gardening, I prefer to use coir lined wire baskets
I prefer to use coir-lined wire baskets.
how to have hanging ferns that are the envy of the neighborhood, flowers, gardening, My BEST secret is to install a Rainbird slow drip automatic watering system It s a DIY project Really See the black tubes hanging down from the porch ceiling When the ferns are hung the tubes are placed above them
My BEST secret is to install a Rainbird slow-drip automatic watering system. It's a DIY project. Really. See the black tubes hanging down from the porch ceiling? When the ferns are hung, the tubes are placed above them.
T
T
he tubing is connected to a timer and then to a standard faucet. (Mine's in the basement, but yours can be anywhere.) In the heat of Summer, the timer is set to water twice a day for 10 minutes.
how to have hanging ferns that are the envy of the neighborhood, flowers, gardening, This pic was taken in October last year after a hot Summer Ferns as large and lush as ever Yours can be too Check out my blog link for more step by step pics
This pic was taken in October last year -- after a hot Summer. Ferns as large and lush as ever. Yours can be, too! Check out my blog link for more step-by-step pics.
how to have hanging ferns that are the envy of the neighborhood, flowers, gardening, How about doing the same thing for your flower beds You can
How about doing the same thing for your flower beds? You can! http://www.hometalk.com/1455316/how-to-have-beautiful-plants-all-summer-long-even-when-you-re-away
Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours

• Connie Doucet

I put my large ferns in a large urn and they are out in the open ,should I do anything special to them ,to keep them from getting a litter green ?

• David Williams

I have green and black worms eating my ferns how do I stop them ?
    • David, sorry to hear about your worm problem! I've never experienced this, so am afraid I have no words of advice. Good luck finding an answer!
  • Kathy

Love ferns, but they don’t seem to like me. I’m going to try removing mine from the plastic pots they came in and repot them as you suggested. I do have a question though...what makes the tips of the leaves turn brown? Guessing not the right amount of moisture?

• Sheri Beeman

My huge fern is hanging from the patio ceiling - out of direct sun. I water it 2-3 times a week in the summer by spraying it with the garden hose. I'm in SoCal so our Summer's hit 110 sometimes - yikes! No Sun, just light...

• Denise Baumann

What do you suggest is needed to bring them in the house? I live in Minnesota and would like to bring it in for the winter.

• Celeste

My parents use to have a greenhouse business and they sold Dallas Ferns. They are in the Boston fern family but are suppose to also do well inside.

• Tanya Neelon
    30 minutes ago

My porch gets windy in the summer and it isn't very sunny, so I invested in 4 natural looking (but artificial) ferns and protected them by spraying them with KRYLON Ultra UV Floral Protectant - purchased on Amazon. Now I don't have to worry about watering them or fertilizing them!