How to have HANGING FERNS that are the ENVY of the Neighborhood

$100

Want to know the secret to having gorgeous, lush ferns all through the hot Summer? I'll tell you. Psssst ... It's a DIY project!

Every Spring, I buy Boston ferns in hanging baskets at Lowe's or Home Depot.

My first secret is to remove the plastic pot they come in and replant them using a good-quality potting mix.

I prefer to use coir-lined wire baskets.

My BEST secret is to install a Rainbird slow-drip automatic watering system. It's a DIY project. Really. See the black tubes hanging down from the porch ceiling? When the ferns are hung, the tubes are placed above them.

The tubing is connected to a timer and then to a standard faucet. (Mine's in the basement, but yours can be anywhere.) In the heat of Summer, the timer is set to water twice a day for 10 minutes.

This pic was taken in October last year -- after a hot Summer. Ferns as large and lush as ever. Yours can be, too! Check out my blog link for more step-by-step pics.

How about doing the same thing for your flower beds? You can! http://www.hometalk.com/1455316/how-to-have-beautiful-plants-all-summer-long-even-when-you-re-away

• Drip irrigation system by Rainbird  (Home Depot)
  • Timer by Rainbird

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Memorial Day Crafts
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours

• Lydia

why do you have to buy your ferns every year?

• Yvonne

I live in the Mid- west and hate to see my ferns die from the weather. I have a small alcove east facing alcove in my kitchen. I hang my ferns on hooks and keep them moist by spraying them daily . I also put a tablespoon of epsom salt in a gallon of water and freeze it in ice cube trays and put the ice cubes in the ferns every couple of days to keep them moist. It works well and I don’t have water dripping out,and the epsom salt gives them magnesium. All my plants love it!

• Mackenzie M

Do you put just one fern in each basket when you replant? Also do you use Miracle Grow potting soil like pictured? First timer! Thank you

• Yes, one fern per basket. Any potting soil brand is fine; that’s just the one we bought the year I wrote this post. Welcome to the family of envy-of-the-neighborhood fern growers!

• Ruth

Hi 👋🏼

im new here,

I have a question

Do I have to water my fern every day?