Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours
Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours
  • Jefferson City, TN

How to have HANGING FERNS that are the ENVY of the Neighborhood

Want to know the secret to having gorgeous, lush ferns all through the hot Summer? I'll tell you. Psssst ... It's a DIY project!
how to have hanging ferns that are the envy of the neighborhood, flowers, gardening, Every Spring I buy Boston ferns in hanging baskets at Lowe s or Home Depot
Every Spring, I buy Boston ferns in hanging baskets at Lowe's or Home Depot.
how to have hanging ferns that are the envy of the neighborhood, flowers, gardening, My first secret is to remove the plastic pot they come in and replant them using a good quality potting mix
My first secret is to remove the plastic pot they come in and replant them using a good-quality potting mix.
how to have hanging ferns that are the envy of the neighborhood, flowers, gardening, I prefer to use coir lined wire baskets
I prefer to use coir-lined wire baskets.
how to have hanging ferns that are the envy of the neighborhood, flowers, gardening, My BEST secret is to install a Rainbird slow drip automatic watering system It s a DIY project Really See the black tubes hanging down from the porch ceiling When the ferns are hung the tubes are placed above them
My BEST secret is to install a Rainbird slow-drip automatic watering system. It's a DIY project. Really. See the black tubes hanging down from the porch ceiling? When the ferns are hung, the tubes are placed above them.
T
T
he tubing is connected to a timer and then to a standard faucet. (Mine's in the basement, but yours can be anywhere.) In the heat of Summer, the timer is set to water twice a day for 10 minutes.
how to have hanging ferns that are the envy of the neighborhood, flowers, gardening, This pic was taken in October last year after a hot Summer Ferns as large and lush as ever Yours can be too Check out my blog link for more step by step pics
This pic was taken in October last year -- after a hot Summer. Ferns as large and lush as ever. Yours can be, too! Check out my blog link for more step-by-step pics.
how to have hanging ferns that are the envy of the neighborhood, flowers, gardening, How about doing the same thing for your flower beds You can
How about doing the same thing for your flower beds? You can! http://www.hometalk.com/1455316/how-to-have-beautiful-plants-all-summer-long-even-when-you-re-away
Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours

• Joco1756

How do you keep birds out of your hanging ferns? Just bought new on sunday the 17th of April and have already taken 2 out. Help?

• Denise Brown

I had this problem every year until I read that you could put a plastic snake in the fern and they wouldn't bother it. It worked!

• Virginia Preston

Also you can put pine cones,they are to ruff for the birds. If you use , plastic snakes,they should be moved often .
  • Pam

I have eight ferns that are planted in large tubs with the rope handles. They have been in them for about three yrs. Can't go yo a bigger pot because there aren't any. Can I trim the sides and replace in same pot?

• Angie Hyde

You can cut them in half, thirds or even quarter them. Then repot them in the correct size pot for whatever size you cut them down to and they should flourish. When I buy ferns in the spring, they are usually root bound in the pot. So, I buy 1 and cut it in half then re-pot and hang on my porch . . . they turn out beautiful and it's much cheaper. My Mother taught me this trick!!
  • Connie Doucet

I put my large ferns in a large urn and they are out in the open ,should I do anything special to them ,to keep them from getting a litter green ?

• David Williams

I have green and black worms eating my ferns how do I stop them ?
  • Kathy

Love ferns, but they don’t seem to like me. I’m going to try removing mine from the plastic pots they came in and repot them as you suggested. I do have a question though...what makes the tips of the leaves turn brown? Guessing not the right amount of moisture?

• Brown tips = not enough water. Repotting will let the roots spread more easily, but it’s not necessary. The key to lush and beautiful ferns is water—plenty and consistently. Good luck!

• Jan9180947

Mist them every day after watering.

• Sheri Beeman

My huge fern is hanging from the patio ceiling - out of direct sun. I water it 2-3 times a week in the summer by spraying it with the garden hose. I'm in SoCal so our Summer's hit 110 sometimes - yikes! No Sun, just light...

• Shandy Whatson

I have 2 gorgeous hanging ferns. During the hot days of summer, every 2nd or 3rd night, I take them down, and immerse them each into a rubber maid tub filled with water. I leave them to soak overnight, and hang again in the morning. They also love a spritz of water daily.

• Denise Baumann

What do you suggest is needed to bring them in the house? I live in Minnesota and would like to bring it in for the winter.