How to Build a Beautiful, Unique, and Mostly FREE Garden Fence

67K Views
Spring is rapidly approaching, and like other gardeners, my green thumb is starting to itch, like crazy. Each year, I plan out a series of garden projects-sometimes creating new garden beds, sometimes revitalizing existing beds, and sometimes creating fences to enclose and delineate a space. Up this year: a compost bin, which I plan to build independent of the Farm Boy, but probably with his oversight. Ha! I'll let you know how that goes in a future blog post.
We've built a several fences on our 5 acre property-as you might recall, there was nothing at our current home but a dilapidated trailer,a garbage pit, and two un-level slabs. One fence is the standard, two rail fence that utilizes green-treat poles (not something I would recommend for a garden fence) and 2 x 6 rails. For our fruit gardens and kitchen garden, however, we built a wattle fence: they're unique, visually interesting, and depending on your access to materials, cheap.
Difficulty: Easy
To get started, you'll need to have a garden space that you think will benefit from enclosure, either to keep things in or out or for simply visual reasons.
Once you've done that, you'll need to dig the holes for the posts (check out the blog post--link below--on how to figure out how many posts you'll need),
  • how to build a beautiful unique and mostly free garden fence, fences, how to
Once you've dug the the holes, installed and leveled the posts, you'll need to install three railings--you'll weave the saplings between these.
Time to add the saplings! You'll need to get your hands on a lot of these. In terms of size, you'll want a range in diameter between 1/2" and 2" so that you're able to flex them between the three rails.
Weave the sampling between the three railings, alternating the direction in which you weave.
The fence will start to take shape.
Keep weaving!
For more information, photos etc., check out the blog post. Happy gardening all!

Suggested materials for this project:

Queen Patina