How to Build a Beautiful, Unique, and Mostly FREE Garden Fence

Spring is rapidly approaching, and like other gardeners, my green thumb is starting to itch, like crazy. Each year, I plan out a series of garden projects-sometimes creating new garden beds, sometimes revitalizing existing beds, and sometimes creating fences to enclose and delineate a space. Up this year: a compost bin, which I plan to build independent of the Farm Boy, but probably with his oversight. Ha! I'll let you know how that goes in a future blog post.
We've built a several fences on our 5 acre property-as you might recall, there was nothing at our current home but a dilapidated trailer,a garbage pit, and two un-level slabs. One fence is the standard, two rail fence that utilizes green-treat poles (not something I would recommend for a garden fence) and 2 x 6 rails. For our fruit gardens and kitchen garden, however, we built a wattle fence: they're unique, visually interesting, and depending on your access to materials, cheap.
How to build a wattle fence
How to build a wattle fence
To get started, you'll need to have a garden space that you think will benefit from enclosure, either to keep things in or out or for simply visual reasons.
Once you've done that, you'll need to dig the holes for the posts (check out the blog post--link below--on how to figure out how many posts you'll need),
how to build a beautiful unique and mostly free garden fence, fences, how to
Once you've dug the the holes, installed and leveled the posts, you'll need to install three railings--you'll weave the saplings between these.
The bare bones of the fence: posts & railings
Time to add the saplings! You'll need to get your hands on a lot of these. In terms of size, you'll want a range in diameter between 1/2" and 2" so that you're able to flex them between the three rails.
Weave the sampling between the three railings, alternating the direction in which you weave.
The fence will start to take shape.
Keep weaving!
For more information, photos etc., check out the blog post. Happy gardening all!
Queen Patina

• Linda jones

The fence is very creative! Can you share the name of the dark red flower and the white one? Thank you

• Queen Patina

@Linda jones Of course! Both flowers--the white and the deep pink--are peonies. Different varieties of course, but same flower. :)

• Linda jones

Thanks for sharing the name of the flowers. What part of the U.S. Are you growing these. I'm not sure they will strive here in San Antonio, Texas. Also, about how many bulbs or plants did it take to fill that area? Thank you again.

• Queen Patina

Hi Linda! I'm in Northern Wisconsin (Zone 3). You might need to water them, but I think everything I planted is a-okay for at least Zone 8. As to numbers, they're guesstimates: 5 peony, 3 lilies, foxglove (3-4 original plants, though they reseed themselves) one dianthus plant, 1 sweet pea plant, and a few annuals (usually zinnia) are tucked in there as well. Hope this helps! :)

• Marmota Peccable

Wonderful! I love it! Have you got destroyers dogs?