Why Add Artificial Flowers to a Fresh Flower Arrangement?

If you want to get a much larger impact from your floral arrangements without spending a small fortune, try beginning with artificial flowers and filling in with fresh flowers.
This lavish arrangement would cost many times the $28.00 I spent on fresh flowers for this arrangement. When you add fresh flowers to artificial ones you fool the eye as to what is real and what is not. More often than not when I have added fresh flowers to artificial ones, guests assume the entire arrangement is real.
I began with my fresh flowers. I purchased two bunches of roses each for $10, two bouquets of hydrangea and one bunch of babies breath, those priced at 3 bunches for $12. I decided against using the babies breath which led to my $28 cost of fresh flowers for this arrangement.
This old urn has been painted a variety of colors to accommodate whatever I am decorating for, but it was fine in silver for my Paris party. I filled it with three blocks of Oasis floral foam which had been thoroughly soaked.
I moved all of my supplies outside so I would keep the indoors mess to a minimum. I look forward to someday having a nice sink and counter outside for arranging flowers.
I began with my artificial flowers, placing them to give myself the shape I was looking for for my arrangement. The flowers I used are a variety of artificials that I have collected over the years. Some of these are more expensive flowers and some are from the dollar store. When mixed together, it doesn’t seem to matter.
After I began my structure with my artificial flowers, I then filled in with my real ones. As the roses open they will blend even better with the artificial flowers.
This arrangement was a wonderful focal point nestled next to my glittered Eiffel Tower for my Paris Party. Yes, if you have a sharp eye, you will see the blue hydrangea are missing. Alas, hydrangea can be difficult and these did not hold up well, so I just pulled them out for the party. No use crying over spilled milk or faded blooms! I was still thrilled with the way my arrangement turned out.

Chloe Crabtree

• Mary

how to clean older flowers and paint them a different color, and not distorying them?
    • Chloe Crabtree

I have never painted my artificial flowers. To clean them, I dip them into and swish them around in a bucket of warm water and a little dish soap. Then I rinse them in a bucket of clean water and hang them up to drip dry.

• Melissa Herrera

Another one of those moments when I say, "Now why didn't I think of that?!" Great economizing tip--thank you, Chloe :)

• Chloe Crabtree

I have never painted my faux flowers, but I have cleaned them by dipping them in a clean bucket with warm water and a little bit of dish soap. Swish them around and then dip them in a bucket of clean water to rinse and hang them to dry. I have heard some people just blow them off with a hair dryer on a cool temperature, but I prefer to actually wash them.