Carol
Carol
  • Argyle, TX
Asked on Feb 29, 2012

Does anyone have experience with hybrid tankless water heaters? Gathering info. stage.

CarolPlumber26Ray
+8

• Clay B

Just make sure to figure your costs long term. I priced a tankless (about 8 years ago), at that time, the tankless was rated to last about 10 years, but the cost savings would take about 10 years to recoup, so it was a wash, and went with the old tank style again. Figure in all the costs including installation which can be pricey. What is the life span of a Hybrid Tankless? Tankless usually also require annual service calls, factor that in as well.

• 3po3

I don't have any personal experience, but I know Consumer Reports is pretty keen on them, and says they have about a 7-year payback. Here is some more CR info: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/october/appliances/water-heaters/overview/index.htm

• When your talking about Hybrid units are you talking about tankless on demand heaters? If so, Rinnai and Noritz are very good units. Each have different methods of venting, both PVC, but Rinnai uses a special type of vent while the Noritz uses normal PVC pipe. The biggest thing you need to understand is when using a tankless on demand heating system, your water must be good quality, or it needs to e filtered. The sudden heating of the water causes a lot of hardness build up which requires cleaning with acid to removed. if you do not do this you will find the heater will begin to loose its ability to make the water warm and quite often cause it to fail before its time.

• Carol

As usual great info. Would a traditional style hybrid water heater (gas) be a better choice? We happened to see one at a big box store and we wonder if it would a better replacement option given what Woodbridge says about venting, etc.

• What do you mean by hybrid? I would avoid the big boxes and go with some of the plumbers who post on Hometalk. Hate to say it but the "better" contractors don't work for the big boys....they stay independent.

• KMS Woodworks

Our city water comes in too cold for using a tankless...during the long winter it hovers just above freezing. Most Tankless systems only boost 40 degree or so...this would put our water temp at tepid at best

• Carol

We wouldn't buy from a big box - just happened to see one there and it got us thinking of other options. I'll show these to my husband and continue the discussion. Thank you once again.

• Carol, the on demand units that they sell at the Big box store is only one of many sizes. These units work real well, but you need to properly size them both for demand use and for gas pipe sizing. Depending upon the size of your home, baths, laundry, dishwasher etc, this all has to be factored in. The make a unit that fits on top of the standard hot water heater that uses the hot flue gasses normally going up chimney to pre-heat the water before it enters into the hot water heater. I have seen them around, and even pulled a few out because of leaks. A lot of what you choose is dependent upon how long your going to live in the home, what your water use is, and how much money you are willing to spend. I attached a photo of one we just did a few weeks ago, Sorry about quality of photo, but you get the idea of all the stuff you need to connect. This one we did not vent out directly from the back, we chose to install this on side wall and turn vent to go out sideways. Customer is real happy, He chose this option as NJ rebate programs, Energy Star offers 50% rebates and 0% Financing but to get it they had to spend a set amount of cash along with a set amount of energy savings gained. We also foam insulated basement sills and added cellulose insulation in the attic to bring him up to R-38.

q does anyone have experience with hybrid tankless water heaters gathering info, go green, plumbing
  • Ray

Carol, I have installed several tankless heaters in your area, there are a lot of options with tankless heaters, gallons per minute output, vent material,gas line sizing location...

• Plumber26

The "hybrid" tankless water heater is both a combination of tank and tankless technology. It has the space-savings and energy efficiency of a tankless, and the comfort of a tank. These units have a "buffer tank" in them that eliminates the "cold water sandwich" that you get w/ Rinnai, Bosch, etc. The Hybrid Tankless I use is the Navien. (like in my picture) This installation has the built in circulating pump within the unit. These are condensing units that can be vented w/ Sch40 PVC as opposed to the Ubbink vent or stainless steel venting. Tankless water heaters are good, hybrid tankless heaters are the best

• Carol

More great info - thank you. Hope to decide soon.