Jeanie B
Jeanie B
  • Rice Lake, WI

Keep the Hostas for Me, Not Dinner for the Deer.

Genelle ThewJeanie BCarroll A
+4

Does anyone have ideas to keep deer out of the Hosta beds? Some type of netting that lets the various sizes grow and yet be protected for grazing deer. I was trying to think of using some type of barrier using willow branches and berry netting canopied over the Hosta beds allowing for growth and to sill enjoy and protect. What do you all think? Any other suggestions?
  • Lisa

Have you tried cayenne pepper powder? It works great for me. Only problem is if it rains, you need to sprinkle it again, on the leaves. It DID NOT kill the leaves or flowers. I assume the deer got a 'licking' after taking a few nibbles. They didn't come back. Also, try hanging some wind chimes around where you think they will hit it. It scares them off. Good luck!

• Jeanie B

thanks Lisa, but was the cayenne pepper dry or mixed with water and sprayed on?

• KMS Woodworks

the pepper goes on dry...get a jumbo size from your local warehouse shop. the small 1/2 ounce size from the grocer will not go to far.

• Carroll A

I have not tried this yet. My sister told me she is having some luck with fishing line. She made a small "fence" around her flower bed, they can't see. It throws the deer off when they hit it and move on.

• Jeanie B

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Genelle Thew

I read somewhere to use ivory soap. I have hostas around my trees so I hung a bar in a nylon on the backside of the tree. Works pretty good, just don't look at the back of the tree...there is white streak!