Sam Schaefer
Sam Schaefer
  • Harmony, PA

Scatter Candle - tutorial

$2.00

This is an easy way to make a decorative candle using materials from the Dollar Tree! I've wanted to make one of these for years, and when I finally did make it, I was extremely happy about the outcome. The possibilities are endless when you use different shaped glass containers & colors!
This project costs under $10.00 to make. Most of the supplies I had on hand. The only things purchased were a glass
gorgeous decor from dollar store items, crafts
Basic Supplies needed: glass flat backed scatter gems & a glass container
Optional Supplies to add glitter to the rim: clear glue & some glitter of your choice
Finished Scatter Candle in daylight. By changing up the container & colors, the decorating possibilities are endless.
This is the Scatter Candle at night. I love the way the spaces between the gems make 'dancing' designs on your table & walls.
Sam Schaefer

• Marina

I did this project but after a day or so, the beads started falling fell off . And I had glued them on really good. Is there a stronger clear glue that would work better?

• Sam Schaefer

Did you use the frosted gems? They are the ones that I used and they're still hanging on. You could always use E-6000 for indoor use, or waterproof silicone caulking (the kind you use to caulk the bathroom) for outdoor use. Good luck. I'm glad you liked it.

• Cyndi Dimanno-Valentine

E6000

• M-kreutzer@msn.com

I made these candle holders also. I used a hot glue gun. After about an hour, the gems began to fall off. I started researching what kind of glue to use to bond glass to glass and found that most people used E6000. So after about 2+ hours and a glue-burned thumb, I feel like I just wasted my time. I probably should have researched this before I started, but I thought I could actually believe the person who posted this project. It is very frustrating because I was going to use these for a Christmas present. Now I have to begin all over again - by the way, I purchased the E6000 glue!

• Sam Schaefer

I really don't understand why you had problems. If you used the frosted glass marbles & hot glue, there really shouldn't have been a problem. I made mine over 3 years ago, and the stones are still on tight. And I use it often. Sorry you've had problems with yours.

• Gom14284074

Thru the years, I've discovered hot glue is vastly over-rated. My group made decorative wreaths one year. The next morning, everything I'd glued on was on the floor. Except for the tiniest of projects, never used hot glue again.

• Pat

Do you think this would work to line the leaking bottom of a cement bird bath?

• Sam Schaefer

I can't see why not. I'd just use an adhesive that is waterproof & okay for outdoors. I think it would be very pretty. Clear bathroom caulk comes to mind right now.

• Jul11630968

what is E6000 and where too get it?
    • Sam Schaefer

E-6000 is a glue that will bond glass to glass as well as many other things. It's very strong. I usually get mine at Walmart, but it's available at most craft stores also. (you can also find it online.) Hope this helps.

• Gina Wisecup

We found it at Wal-Mart in the hardware dept. Around the crazy glue and gorilla glue