Donna McCrummen
Donna McCrummen
  • Bernardsville, NJ
Asked on Mar 1, 2012

I'm just back from my first upholstery class. The one I missed Monday because I was sick I'm glad they let me make it up

CaroleDonna McCrummenYamini LEED AP at Urbanmotifs
+3

I'm doing a small boudoir chair. Should be fun. Any advice?
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Did you learns lots of cool stuff? I have some great advice! Ask Yamini :)

• KMS Woodworks

Yamini is one of our Hometalk upholstery gurus...I'm one of the woodworker experts.

• Donna McCrummen

I know you all....3 of my favorite things and on-line friends! Yes, I learned I need a whole new realm of tools. LOL

• Shabby the coolest tool is the staple gun and with our new air compressor I like the sound it makes. While I am still interning in upholstery, I'd suggest you pay attention to cording. If sewing is something you already know then this is a breeze for you. I am working on doing a basic DIY bench class this spring at the Studio. We just painted the walls and lot of stuff going on. Good luck with your chair and don't forget before after.

• Donna McCrummen

Yamini - I don't sew but I have a machine and will give it a try. Nothing tried nothing gained right? Our teacher is a lovely old school upholsterer. I'm looking forward to learning the basics and perhaps going forward. My passion is paint so we'll see....I'm doing an old boudoir chair - it was free and it was vinyl....I still don't have a vision for it so if anyone has pictures/suggestions that would be great.

• Carole

Take photos of all the steps involved as you go. It is too easy to forget what you did and how you did it after the classes finish. You can always then refer back to your photos and ensure to keep any notes or hand outs they give you on the subject somewhere safe too. Have fun!