360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
  • Buford, GA
Asked on Mar 1, 2012

Working on a Garden Club talk~ The elemental Garden (Earth, Wind, Fire, Water)

Home & Garden Design, Inc., Danna Cain, ASLASouthern Trillium LLCSherrie S
+6

Can you list one item for each that you can add to your garden?
  • 3po3

Rock edging Chimes Volcanic decorative rock Birdbath What do I win? =)

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

a gold star! well a green check mark anyways :)

• Walter Reeves

"Amend your soil beforehand" chimes decorative lighting urn fountain

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I like the amend your soil before hand very practical!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. Expand wind a bit and think of ways to incorporate 'movement' into the garden.

• Erica Glasener

moving scuptures, pergolas, arbors, moving water

• Sherrie S

Solar Birdbath keeps the water moving & mosquitoes out. Saves electricity, too.

• Southern Trillium LLC

I will take it in a different approach. Earth - elevation changes in the landscape provide far more interest than one that is flat. Wind - use plants such as ornamental grasses that move in even the slightest breeze. I love Fountain Grass, Pennisetum orientalis, as a perennial grass that stays fairly small but provides great interest in a small garden space. The 'Lilttle Bunny' variety is also a nice one. Fire - I will agree with Walter on the lighting, since not everyone wants a fire source in their landscape, but designed night lighting provides incredible interest to a garden and can create an entirely different mood to the garden once the sun goes down. Water - Instead of piping unnecessary water underground through pipes to try and carry it off the property, try and use it as an asset. Maybe install a dry streambed as an aesthetic way to control the runoff. I attached a photo of a dry streambed that I incorporated into a design and we installed several years ago. This is what it looks like after a rainfall.

, This is a dry streambed that I used in a design years ago The homeowner took this photo after a rainfall to show just how beautiful it can be Even their beagle was interested in it
  • What if you translate the elements into colors or objects that "represent" the element but aren't the element itself. Water = a long flowing drift of blue muscari, Fire = red/orange impatiens/tritoma/burning bush, Earth = brown pine bark mulch or terra-cotta pots. Wind? well, that one's tough. Wind is unseen yet suggests movement so perhaps things translucent or things that suggest an open portal/passage where wind would pass such as an arbor or long vista, or things that show the effect of wind like the wind-swept Monterrey cypress.