Pallet Fence: Re-purposing pallets

This is a fence I made for my garden using pallets and old pickets from a fence that had been torn down. When I ran out of the old pickets, I used pallet boards and cut them to match the pickets so I could complete the project. My fenced area is 30' X 40' and I still had pallets left over for other projects.
Pallet fence panel before trimming the rotten wood and painting.
Pallet fence panel after trimming and painting.
The fence is being installed.
The fence is being installed.
The garden gate was made from pallets too.  The arbor was made from my childrens' old sandbox.  We cut the large boards down to build the arbor.
The garden gate was made from pallets too. The arbor was made from my childrens' old sandbox. We cut the large boards down to build the arbor.
The fence is almost finished.
The fence is almost finished.
Here is a picture taken from my bench at the back of the garden looking towards the arbor.  The fence is complete.  Now on to making the garden look pretty.  This will take awhile.
Here is a picture taken from my bench at the back of the garden looking towards the arbor. The fence is complete. Now on to making the garden look pretty. This will take awhile.

• Hector l. vlllarreal

How do you join the pallets together?

• CraftingStuff

@Hector l. vlllarreal I used left over strips of wood to attach them together with screws at the top and bottom of the panel sections and to attach them to the posts.

• Tisha

It would be nice to see a pic of the connection to each other and to the post. Just to get a better idea. That is a beautiful fence though.

• CraftingStuff

I will try to get a picture of this over the weekend and post it.

• CraftingStuff

Here is the only picture I have of the connections. This fence has been taken down now, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

, Each place circled in red shows the scrap pieces of wood used to connect the panels together and connect the panels to the posts
    • Lori

Awesome picture and thank you so much for posting this picture. I'm in the process of building a small and short fence around my garden to keep the doggies out. this helps me a lot!

• 62q10370829

use 6 in bolts and nuts to hold pallets together and hardware store sells brackets to put on post. or toe nail pallets to post or screws. made one out of out ca king box bottom frame for rabbit pen. lasted 5 yrs.

• Michele Grzywacz

How do you remove boards from a pallet, they all seem to be nailed or stapled so securely that I am not sure how to take them apart?

• Nita O

so how long did it last?

• CraftingStuff

It was built the summer of 2012 and taken down this year. A young couple saw it in my yard after we had taken it down and asked to take it home to recycle once again.

• Beth fondren

If u don't mind me asking did u remove fence because it was rotting?

• CraftingStuff

We are selling the house and decided that it would be better to take it down and open the backyard up. Quite a few boards did have some rot and could have been repaired but I have too many other projects to complete before we list the house.

• Rod

Good call...

• Mary Boger

Nice recycle! Love picket fences.

• Capri

Sherry, I live in Hot Springs...my local Michael's craft store has told me they put them in the back behind the store every week and I can just come by and get all I want when I see them laying back there. You might check your local area for a Michael's store.

• Selina drakehohn

I started laughing with pure delight, when i happened upon this work of creativity and pure genius! I can't believe you took pallets and turned them into my dream Fence!!! I am definitely going to do this and save myself a ton of money!!! Bless you for sharing.