Beth at Unskinny Boppy
Beth at Unskinny Boppy
  • Birmingham, AL

Unexpected Beauties: Galvanized Tubs and a Pool Pump Turned Planter

There are few things in this world I enjoy more than gardening and breathing new life into things that most people would consider old junk bound for the landfill. When I saw a stacked galvanized tub planter on Pinterest, I knew I had to make one of my own. We have old galvanized tubs sitting around our house that used to serve as dog bowls. I dragged them out of storage and drilled some drainage holes in them, then I used an old rusty piece of rebar to anchor them all together. After adding a little garden soil and some hosta, creeping jenny and purple moon torenia, I had myself a gorgeous piece of garden art.
The previous owners of our house had replaced the pool pump and cut the sand filter in half to use as planters. I love that he was a repurposer, too! I got my husband to dig a shallow hole, and we buried the top half of the pool pump halfway in the ground but tipped at an angle to show off the flowers better.
Filled with coleus and hosta, it makes the perfect end cap for my shady driveway border. Great for adding some to my house!
Drill holes in the bottom for drainage and one for rebar
Stack the buckets and fill with thriller and spiller plants for maximum effect.
Rebar holds it all together
Rebar holds it all together
To see the full reveal of the stacked bucket planter and the pool pump turned planter, you'll need to come visit my blog post.
If you like my ideas, I welcome you to come visit my blog and pin these images from the original source here at the link below:

Beth at Unskinny Boppy

• JoeyMarie Jms

I knew I could my old metal wash basin but my "greenthumb" friend said I probably shouldn't. Taking it out of the garage today! Beautifully done! Any chance you've had luck with an old ceramic sink?? I'm hoping these cucumbers will be okay in it.

• Donna

When we remodeled our bathroom, we tried getting the bathtub out in one piece but then realized we had to cut it. Sitting in my backyard wondering what to use it for. Any ideas that doesn't require welding?

• Ann

Adorable

• David Bailey

When we moved into MD. or into this one town we live in, we went to Lowe's and purchased a round fire pit that we used out in the back yard until we were told by police that we could no longer us it. the bottom will be drilled out and flowers will be planted and since it is solid rusted steel it should be interesting to see what colors we get from the flowers!!