Cindy Osterbind C
Cindy Osterbind C
  • Moseley, VA
Asked on Mar 1, 2012

I have a tiled backsplash in my kitchen. I'm not in love with it, but it's okay except for some random tiles that

ElaineBard JudithSue Johnson
+7

are dimensional. What can I do to cover those. I don't want to remove them.
  • Cindy Osterbind C

I was thinking that maybe I could use something to grind down the "dimension" (they're shells - yuck) and then cover them with another thinner tile. Do you think this would work?

• Covering one tile with another tile is not a great way to go about it, there are too many possible things that can go wrong in the long run. You best bet would be to remove the current tile and start fresh with new tile there.

• Designs by BSB

Could you post a picture? would be VERY helpful!

• FloorNerd

I think Dans right start over would be the best way, do you know if they will be easy to take off? With out damage Sheetrock.

• Angela S

Depending on what kind of look you want, you can buy metal covers for some standard sized tile that just stick on with double sided tape - not the greatest solution, but if you like it better than the shells it might be a temporary fix - searching for "tile covers" will find them. Examples can be seen here: http://www.taylorgifts.com/item/square_metal_wall_tiles/23419

• Cindy Osterbind C

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking that I won't be able to remove just those tiles without damaging other surrounding ones. I think I just may check out Angela S's idea for a quick and inexpensive solution to my problem until I'm at a point where I want to replace "ALL" of the tile. Thanks again!

• Sue Johnson

I had avacado green tiles in my kitchen. Yuk. I bought plastic ceiling ties and double sticky tape. Easy peasy. They look brassy with a hint of green pateena. They also have strips for a finished look at top and bottom. Hope this helps.

• Bard Judith

If you don't care about salvaging the dimensional tile itself, it shouldn't be too hard to remove. Rather than trying to pry up from the edges (and damage the surrounding tile), use a heavy chisel and strike the tile at the edge of the raised area (shell) to break it. Then pry away from the broken centre towards the edge of the tile until all pieces are out. Replace tile. (Er, maybe check the size first and make sure you can get tiles to fit into the space! )

• Bard Judith

Oh, or if you really do not want to remove them, maybe try tile paint to tone down the dimensional tiles, because while tile covers will work on flat tiles, they won't fit over the protruding shells, right? And if you try grinding away the excess ceramic, you'll have a great deal of dust and chipping and a high probability of breakage anyhow.

• Elaine

I have the EXACT same problem, Cindy! The dimensional ones are the same cream color as the others but I'm assuming the previous owner thought the backsplash was too plain so there's dated/frumpy looking (tone on tone) dimensional tiles randomly placed among the plain tiles. If it wasn't for the former, the backsplash is fine. I think the only way to remedy this is to first seek out the same size & color (wish me luck!) tiles somewhere then chip out the dated ones. For now, I have a nice tray at one end of the counter & a large breadboard propped up at the other end. Good luck with your backsplash!