Joni DeMore- Malone
Joni DeMore- Malone
  • Port Clinton, OH

Mid Century Modern Revision

I had recently acquired a few pieces of one of my least favorite styles of furniture. I had this guy for a few months when I finally decided I needed to clear up some space in my basement work area, and since this guy was so big, he was my target.
mid century modern revision, painted furniture
First off, I had to strip him down to the bare wood, using Citistrip. I was quite pleased with what I found. He was going to stain nicely.
I knew I was going to stain the drawers and paint the body. I thought I was going to go with General Finishes Snow White, but, after putting the primer on, and sliding in the already stained drawers, I wasn't happy with the look.
Grey was the answer! General Finishes Milk Paint, Driftwood. My sweet friend, Jen, sent me some legs appropriate for the style, and on they went.
I used General Finishes gel stain in Java on those drawers. Top and body were sealed with their High Performance topcoat, in satin, and the body was sealed with Polyvine Wax Finish Varnish, in satin.
I opted to keep the original hardware, only having to polish them to bring them back to their original shine.
One of my favorite details in all of my pieces- fabric lined drawers.
I was very happy with the way he turned out. And guess what? This is now a style that I love.
Thanks for looking!

• Kaye Maxey

Hi, was wondering if the grey is chalk paint? if not what did you use? I have a dresser ready for finishing, similar to yours, half stained timber and half painted solid colour. Thanks, Kaye

• Wen3585151

Gorgeous what kind of paint did you use?

• Maryam Khalatbari

Hi, may I ask how did you polish the pulls? I have the very same exact dresser and after seeing how gorgeous yours is I decided to do the same to mine. it seems that your pulls are chrome now , am I right ? Thank you so much and keep the wonderful job.

• CK

This is a nice redo....but to me the style speaks Mid-Century Modern ;-) Those skinny legs, the style of the drawers, etc..... MCM...but hey, if you now like it who cares what style anyone calls it, right ;-)

• CK

@Joni DeMore- Malone Oh sorry....my mistake. I misread something. Argggg....I outta really pay more attention sometimes...LOL! It is really is a great redo. :-)

• Outstanding job...LOVE IT!!